Need Your Help Everyone...my First Delivery On Saturday

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm by beachcakes

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 18

ok...i am making a 6, 10 and 14 inch round tiered cake...its going to be covered in fondant...i am trying to time in my head when I should do everything. I dont need to leave my house until 4:30p.m. on saturday to go set it up.

I like to make my cakes fresh and not freeze them...so should I make them tonight and somehow try to cover them so they dont dry? any ideas on that or tips?

or should I bake them tomorrow and do whatever is mentioned above to cover them or bake them tomorrow and cover them that night also with fondant so they dont dry out?

or should I just bake and do everything on saturday? i need help! I dont want the cakes to dry but I would like to not rush myself either....

any thoughts?

April :0)

17 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 18

I think that you should at least bake tomorrow and decorate on Saturday. It will be a lot of pressure and work to bake, decorate and deliver all in one day. If you bake tomorrow and cover in fondant, it will keep your cakes from drying out and then you can do the detail work on Saturday.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 18

I bake everything two days ahead of time, wrap in plastic overnight, then decorate the next day and deliver the day after that. It gives you some extra time in case something goes wrong, and as long as you keep the cakes wrapped until you decorate them they don't dry out or anything...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 18

cake is not so fragile that it will dry up and disintegrate in 20 minutes. I dont' know what kind of oven you have, but to bake 6 layers of cake in a home oven would take 3-5 hours, so I don't think doing it all on Saturday is a good idea either.

I totally agree with costumeczar....bake a couple of days ahead of time. Freezing a cake actually makes it more moist and I think it's taste better if it's been in the freezer a day or two. I used to be a "I don't freeze my cakes!" snob .... until CC'ers educated me on the value of it. Now I throw mine in the freezer even for an hour or so to make them easier to handle and to help retain moisture.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 18

I bake one morning... wait a few hours.. torte and fill...wrap them and let them sit another 8 hours so they will settle... trim the sides where they might be bulging then cover with fondant and stack.

icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 18

I agree with wgoat! you need to at least make them a day before...but there is NOTHING wrong with freezing the cakes! If you do it properly...you have to make sure that you double wrap them in plastic then in foil. It really does make the cakes more moist! But at least make sure you do mostly everything the day before...you don't want to have any problems the day of!

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 18

I agree there is nothing wrong with freezing your cakes for a day or 2. I always freeze mine and they taste delicious (very moist). Don't do everything the day of, you will be so stressed. And if any problems occur you have no time to fix.

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:08am
post #8 of 18

I would bake tonight. Cover in plastic or if you have doubles of all your pans just leave them in the pans and cover tops with plastic wrap. I know everyone says take the cakes out of the pans, but hey it works for me. I also like to store my cakes in the oven overnight. I MAKE SURE MY OVEN IN COOLED OFF COMPLEATLY and then I don't have to worry about ants, air, or greedy little fingers touching my cakes. That's just me. I'd cover them all in fondant on Friday and do most of the fancy work. Deliver on Saturday. Don't stress your self out everything will be fine!!!! thumbs_up.gif

aprilcake Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:10am
post #9 of 18

why do so many people and sites say that freezing them gives them a freezer taste and drys them? so many different opinions on this...what I will do is try it out on a cake that is not important like one I am experimenting with in two weeks for fun mainly. So double wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and stick in freezer? after I put layer on icing on...how long should I let it sit until I put the fondant on?

WendyLaLa Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 5:33am
post #10 of 18

I don't freeze my cakes simply because I don't have the room. My freezer is sadly full of fish sticks, waffles, ice cream and Jimmy Dean Pancake Sausages on a stick. Sad isn't it!!! (P.S. if you ain't had a jimmydean pancake sausage on a stick you are missing something holy!!!! LOL!!!)

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:16am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLaLa

I don't freeze my cakes simply because I don't have the room. My freezer is sadly full of fish sticks, waffles, ice cream and Jimmy Dean Pancake Sausages on a stick. Sad isn't it!!! (P.S. if you ain't had a jimmydean pancake sausage on a stick you are missing something holy!!!! LOL!!!)

Haha...sounds like my freezer...although mine could do with a little more ice cream at the moment.

I agree that the fondant should be done on Friday. It won't hurt the cakes at all to sit out covered in fondant, assuming the frosting underneath doesn't need to be refrigerated. Usually when I make a cake for home, it sits for a day or two before I can bear to cut into it...and the fondant always keeps it moist and delicious.

WendyLaLa Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:21am
post #12 of 18

Fondat is pretty forgiving. I have let it sit out for a few days if bc is non perishable. I like it way better than butter cream on it's own. If you accidently touch it no dents!!!! I can't count the bc cakes i've stuck my spatula, fingers, or piping bag in!!!!! Annoying!!!!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 6:44am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLaLa

I don't freeze my cakes simply because I don't have the room.

I lucked up and got an extra frige for the garage when my tenants moved out of my rental property! I freeze my cakes now and LOVE it!! I guess it's kinda like freezing milk or something and it becomes watery from the ice melting or something?? Once the cake thaws, it is SO moist!!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 12:11pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilcake

why do so many people and sites say that freezing them gives them a freezer taste and drys them?

Because they've tasted a cake that mom slapped in the freezer without properly wrapping it and it got freezer burned, ergo the opinion of "frozen cakes taste freezer burned".

LIke I said, I was a freezer snob ... until CC convinced meto give it a try and now my cakes taste even better.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:34am
post #15 of 18

i read online from some fancy pastry chef that freezing the cake does something to the molicules that i didn't really understand...but he said it actually makes the cake moister, i freeze everything, even if it's just for later that day...it also makes the cakes WAY less fragile and easier to work with....i hate hate hate working with a cake that's never been frozen.

aprilcake Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:38pm
post #16 of 18

ok...so when you freeze it...how long does it need to sit and thaw before you unwrap the plastic wrap and start icing it?

WendyLaLa Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:13pm
post #17 of 18

My extra fridge is in the garage. Wanna know what it's full of.............BEER! All kinds of beer. The freezer is full of BEER MUGS!!! My husbands garage is off limits to me unless I'm drinking the beer!!!! I swear he is so selfish!!!! LOL. I'd like to get one of those big freezers that open like an ice chest and are big enough to store a body!!! LOL!!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #18 of 18

I freeze all the time. I take the cakes out in the morning before i go to work and when i get home, they're completely thawed. I'd venture to guess 4-5 hours?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%