Storing Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 9:04pm by yummymummy

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, this may seem like a silly question, but does fondant get hard??

I am making a fondant covered cake on Tuesday and would like to donate it to a charitable event on Saturday. Will it still be fresh and okay to eat then? It will be covered in buttercream, then fondant. How do I store it? In a box wrapped in Saran??

Thanks!

9 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 10

As long as your buttercream isn't perishable (made with milk) I would think it would be okay to place it in a box and wrap the box in plastic wrap. I personally don't think I would like to leave a cake sit out that long, but there are many that say they are just fine to eat. I've never tried it; the most I've gone is 3 days.

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 10

I'd stick in the fridge. I'm a little afraid the inside will be a bit squiffy if you store it un-refrigerated. I'm sure it would be fine though fine if you don't live somewhere with a lot of humidity. Good Luck!!
LaLa

laurynrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurynrn Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 10

I have decorated cakes then froze them with fondant on it. You can put it in a box then saran wrap the whole box. I let my cake defrost uncovered and didn't touch the fondant until it was done "sweating".
I have also used press n seal and unwrapped and thawed that way also.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:56pm
post #5 of 10

Sorry Wendy, but I have heard very bad things about refrigerators drying out cakes. Freezing however seems to be fine. You just have to make sure that you bring the cake out in enough time to defrost and let any moisture evaporate from the fondant. HTH

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 10

The fondant helps seal in the moisture so your cake should not be dry. Also, the fondant will get firm, but the buttercream underneath will keep it from getting totally hard. Finally, sugar acts as a preservative, so most icings, even with milk, will keep inrefrigerated. I use an all butter buttercream recipe that contains cream and it sat out on my counter for a week before we finished off all of the cake. Nobody got sick. I think a cake made on Tuesday will be fine on Saturday.

shadow79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadow79 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 10

As far as refrigeration, I wanted to do that one time with a fondant covered cake and read somewhere (don't remember where) that it may ruin the fondant decoration so I didn't try it.
I think it may depend on if you just covered the cake in fondant and if there is not much fondant decoration besides that or not. Maybe someone with more fondant expertise can chime in, but that is what I found when I researched a fews months back. I don't know how true it was. Good luck!

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 10

I'm curious too about putting a fondant covered cake in the fridge. I have a cake coming up the beginning of May with cookies & cream filling...obviously needs refrigeration...but can I without ruining the fondant? It's really important to me that the cake be as perfect as possible when me customer picks it up.

On a side note, I was considering filling it w/ cookies & cream butter cream instead. Would this be better? icon_confused.gif

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 10

I put cakes covered in fondant and with fondant decorations on buttercream in the refrigerate all the time. I also recently put a gumpaste/fondant bow in the refrigerator and had no problem whatsoever. I think the key is when you take it out of the refrigerator just let it set and don't touch anything until the fondant is dry. Mine did get a bit sticky when I first took it out but dryed up within an hour or so.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 10

Good to know, but I think I will switch my filling to the bc cookies & cream. I don't want to take the chance of making anyone sick. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%