How Much Fondant Do I Need For This? Please Help

Decorating By evesloven Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 10:10pm by evesloven

evesloven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evesloven Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, so I'm going to be doing a wedding cake for Sept. The cake is going to either be 3 tiers ( 18" round, 12" round & 8" round) or 4 tiers, (16" round, 14" round, 10" round & 6" round) The bride isn't quite sure which one she wants yet. She wants to feed approx. 200 people, and wants the cake covered w/fondant. I've used fondant to cover 2 tier cakes before, but not this many and I'm not sure how much I'll need. I'd rather have too much than not enough ya know. So I'm looking at ordering a tub or two of Satin Ice....and would like to know how much to oder. 5 lbs? 20 lbs? to make sure I'm fully prepared when it comes time to make the cake. Help please!!

8 replies
evesloven Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 9

I'm sorry to bump this... but would really like any ideas on amount that I'd need. I'm trying to keep her cost down quite a bit. Thanks so much!

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 9

There is a "fondant needed" chart on Earlene cakes....she gives individual size cakes rolled and needed and then, at the bottom there are several different stacked sizes she has done.............

www.earlenescakes.com/Fondantchart.html

I learned of her website on CC and it is very helpful and informative........

evesloven Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 9

You are a lifesaver. Thank you so much!!

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 9

I use fondx brand. It usually takes about a pound and half for the 8 inch cake. For a 12 @ 3 and half pounds (sometimes a little less) 18 usually around 5 pounds or so. I don't know your technique, so I'm not sure how this you like to roll your fondant. I like to keep it pretty thick to hide any imperfections. Hope this helps.
LaLa

evesloven Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks again! That does help. She finally decided she wants a 4 tier white cake w/regular butter cream, covered w/fondant, dimensions as follows:
16" round, 14" round, 10" round, 6" round for the top.
And she wants them stacked. I figure this should feed 200 people right? Maybe a little more....the cakes have to be what, 3 to 4 inches tall (thick)...etc. ??
She's getting a heck of a deal, I don't know why I undersell myself. LOL.

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 9

We undersell ourselves because we are all just as soft as marshmallow inside!!!!! I'm a big ol marshmallow afraid that people won't like me!!! Oh and double layer torted cakes usually end up being around 5 inches with all of the frosting and fondant. Tell us what happens
LaLa

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 9

I just did a 14, 10 and 6 inch round and each tier was 4 inches high and it took almost every bit of 10 pounds. Always err on the high side "just in case". My local supply shop said I would only need 5 lbs.....

evesloven Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 9

I was debating on buying a 20 lb. bucket of Satin Ice, or just making all MMF for the cake. I'm thinking that's a HECK of a lot of MMF...but so much cheaper.... not sure. As far as stacking goes...I always use wooden dowells and cake boards (wrapped in foil) as seperator plates. Is this still an ok way to go w/a wedding cake? Should I use plastic dowels and plastic seperator plates? OH, and what on earth would I use to stick through the middle of the whole thing? Usually my cakes aren't any more than 3 tiers and one long dowel will go through all three layers.... but they are definitely NOT long enough for a full 4 layer cake 4" high each....
Hrmm.. any suggestions?
Thanks again for all your awesome advice...this place is such a lifesaver...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%