Health Inspections When You Rent Kitchen Time/space

Business By mmgiles Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 8:36pm by indydebi

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 4

I'm considering renting kitchen space/time (assuming I can find someone who's willing to rent to me). How do you go about setting up with the health inspector. Are there usually rules about whether you can bring in your ingredients and supplies, then storing them somewhere else. Obviously the restaurant I'm renting from wouldnt want me taking up their space the whole time, just when I'm there right?

How are suprise visits from the health inspector handled? I mean I could bake at different times every week. How would this work?

3 replies
queenoffairytalecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenoffairytalecakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 4

it all depends on what state you are in.

i rec'd conflicting information dpeending on who you speak with

Dept of Agric. said as long as the kitchen was inspected under the owner it wouldnt need to be inspected although you should carry your own insurance

Dept of Business License said, you would need your own license and the place would need to be inspected.

I went by the dept of agric. lol

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks. Does anyone know how you handle inspections. If I decorate at different times they might never be able to do those suprise visits. Am I just lucky, or will that be a problem?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 4

I'm primarily a caterer and as I tell people, "I cook on Friday and Saturday". My HD inspector asked that I let him know when I had a cooking schedule going because he needed to see me at work, not just inspect an idle kitchen .... which I totally understand.

However, since that initial visit, I'm pretty much baking everyday, so he can pop in pretty much anytime!

Quote by @%username% on %date%