So Nervous

Decorating By DanielleHester Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm by DanielleHester

DanielleHester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleHester Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 3

Hey everyone!!

I have an order for my first paid cake. It is a 12x18 sheet cake. I have never made a cake this big before. I am so nervous that when I go to take it out of the pan that it is just gonna fall apart or stick to the pan. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid this.

Thanks
Danielle

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 3

Lay your large (!) cooling rack on top of the cake pan and flip the whole thing. The rack will hold the cake in place during the flipping process.

If you have any doming, trim it off while it's in the pan, so you cake isn't sitting on a dome ... gravity will pull the unsupported edges of the cake downward, causing your cake to break.

I always have 2 cooling racks and after I flip the cake out of the pan, I immediately (!) put the 2nd rack on the cake and flip it over again. The cake is now sitting on it's bottom ... a nice, even, flat surface ... during the cooling process.

I grease-only-no-flour my pans, using baking strips and bake at a reduced temperature. I use CK Brand "Pan Grease". If I'm out of that, I'll use WIlton's Cake Release. If I don't have either of those, I use plain 'ole Crisco.

DanielleHester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanielleHester Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Indydebi for the tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%