How Do I Do These Flowers?

Decorating By aandsmommy Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 4:27am by Cake_Princess

aandsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandsmommy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 7

Anyone seen or done a cake like this? Any ideas on the flowers? Any ideas on how much to charge?
LL

6 replies
mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 7

the flowers are beautiful; i will be watching, myself, to see if anyone knows

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 7

very pretty cake!! I am sure someone probably knows for sure but could you use a large rose cutter and as you are thinning out the fondant/gumpaste, stretch the petal some to make it look more "open"?? That's what I might try. Then it looks like there are just smaller sized done the same way with a small flower in the middle.

charging... I am terrible at that so I would leave that response to someone else!!! I always undercharge!!!

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 7

To me, these look like fondant/gumpaste rose petals, cut out and the ends folded together. Then put a fondant/gumpaste ball on top of the petals, and voila, you have your flower! The others simply look like basic rose or flower cutouts in 2 or 3 different sizes, placed on top of each other, and again the ball on top.

Pricing is a difficult issue for me. Much of it depends on your area. For me, I would price this cake per serving ($3.00/serving for fondant) and include the flowers in that price, as they do not appear to be very difficult. However, in my area, I think that's a tad bit low, as the average fondant price is about $3.85 per serving.

HTH!
<Starkie>

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 7

For instructions in making layered flowers like this, you could check the recent Wilton Wedding book: they are called "fantasy flower," which, as Mcdonald mentioned, are really open petals with a smaller flower inside.

Here's the book: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30A675-475A-BAC0-525BB0AADDF3EB94&fid=E6A7ADE9-423B-522D-F1F716093FC52F69

Here is also a link, for making 2-layer flowers:

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/funflowers.cfm

They could also be done in RI, use the Wilton "Wild Rose" instructions, and then place another, smaller wild rose or other flower inside. But, I agree with the above posts, they are likely gumpaste/fondant. Hope this helps a bit!

aandsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandsmommy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the tips! I will try them out. I think I will charge a little more, since the local bakery does $5.00/serving for simple buttercream. I was thinking $6.00/serving. Tired of undercharging!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:27am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandsmommy

Anyone seen or done a cake like this? Any ideas on the flowers? Any ideas on how much to charge?

You need to charge according to the area you live in. For instance, if you are a decorator in a small town people might not be willing to pay N.Y.C. prices. Find out what cakes go for in your area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%