Technical Difficulties (2 Questions)

Decorating By lauralee422 Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 12:34pm by LetThereBeCake07

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:36am
post #1 of 4

Hi and welcome back CCers! My question is: I have a small bachelorette cake to make. Probably 30 ppl. The topper is 7 inches across. Right now usually my cakes are 6" top, 8" bottom cake..Do I have to do an 8 inc top cake and 10 inch bottom cake? Is that way too much cake?

And the second question- if I do a ten inch cake, do i need a heating core? Thank you as usual for all the great advice!

3 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:54am
post #2 of 4

Hi!
I think you'd want to go with an 8" since your topper is 7", you don't want it to hang over.
An 8, 10" serves 48 according to Wilton. It sounds like alot of cake. Can you cut down the size of the topper? or maybe do a 10" square - that will serve 30.

I like to use an inverted flower nail for any cake 10" or bigger. Make sure to grease it.

lauralee422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauralee422 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 11:01am
post #3 of 4

Good advice! I wanted a tiered cake bc there are little decorations that I wanted to put on the little "ledge" between cakes and it might look cute... I am waiting for topper to come through the mail, so once it does I can see if I can trim it down... thank u for the advice!

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 4

I would go with the 8" on top and the 10" on the bottom. I wouldnt worry about too much cake. You can always cut the peices a little bigger or have cake left for people to take home. I just did a mini wedding cake for a bridal shower and to get the look they wanted it neded to be 3 teirs and way too much cake. I sugested saving the top tier and send it home with the bride to be for her and her honey to enjoy together later or the next day. They loved the idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%