I Am Closing The Shop (Sorry...long)

Business By misterc Updated 14 May 2008 , 5:18pm by misterc

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 47

I have talked about this once before and I don't know why I am posting this now. I guess because I consider CC part of my family. I have decided to quit decorating cakes professionally.
There isn't really a market in my area for what I do. Brides love my cakes but are unwilling to pay what they are worth. They want grocery store prices for custom, designer cakes. I am done doing cakes for next to nothing. It takes me a way from my family so much that when I earn so little on a cake it just doesn't seem worth it. If I factor in my time I'm making next to nothing. Brides hand me pictures from bridal magazines asking if I can reproduce the cake. They see the price tag right next to the picture (let's say for example $1000) and then ask me to replicate it for $150- tops $200.
I love decorating and I was very excited in the beginning to make money doing something I love but now it is just upsetting. I think I will go back to being a cake hobbiest and do cakes for family and friends just because I want to.
Thanks for listening, it was a hard decision but I am glad I finally made it. I am done being walked on. If I ever move to a larger city maybe I will give it a try again.

46 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 47

Aw, sorry to hear that, but you are right, if it's pulling you away from your family and you aren't making any money, then you made the right decision. Maybe the market will change, or people will realize that they lost a good thing, and you will be up and running again.

One thing I noticed on your website, besides fabulous cakes, is that you don't have any prices listed. Maybe that way you can avoid wasting time wiht brides who want champagne on a beer budget by stating some prices and descriptions on your website? Show them what your cakes cost along with how many they serve, that way they know if they can afford you before they even pick up the phone? OR....stick up for your prices and charge what you deserve to make. If they don't want to pay, then you aren't away from your family wasting your time. Wait til indydebi gets a hold of you! LOL! icon_smile.gif

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 47

. . . tough decision . . . but the right decision . . . your beautiful cakes are worth every penny . . . so best to stick to your guns (there ain't no such thing as a free lunch) . . . if people want the designer cakes they have to be prepared to pay the price!! You deserve to pick and choose if you are going to be giving cakes as "gifts" . . . and as a professional . . . "gifts" are few and far between . . . "let 'em eat (walmart) cake" . . .

misterc Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 47

Thanks guys.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 47

where abouts do you live in utah?
i know there are a few cake decorators in utah who are getting what they ask as far as pricing.

misterc Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

where abouts do you live in utah?
i know there are a few cake decorators in utah who are getting what they ask as far as pricing.

I live in Cache Valley. It is in northern Utah and it is fairly secluded. If I was in the Salt Lake area or St George area I think things would be better. That is why I said if I ever move to a bigger area I will try again.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 47

You know your priorities...and I commend you for that. Family always comes first. Best wishes on your next endevor and enjoy cake hobbying! Less stress is a good thing!

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:20am
post #8 of 47

I am sorry to hear that. I know it took a lot for me to decide to start my business. I'm sure it takes even more to make that kind of a decision. I have always said that if it starts to take me away from my family, priorities or costs me to be making cakes for others that I would do the same. I'm sure you will receive a blessing for trying to do the right thing for you and your family.

misterc Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #9 of 47

Thank you for your support. It was a hard decision but I think it is the right one, atleast for now. I am going to finish the cakes I already have on the calander and then be done. Thanks again for your support.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:28am
post #10 of 47

Oh my! You should consider moving! I looked at your website and your work is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could charge what you wanted to for your work! I do wish you the best in whatever you decide to do! (((HUGS)))

Kim

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:38am
post #11 of 47

Missy -

I'm so sorry to hear that things did not work out for you. I expect to undergo the same thing here, where I live. I use premium ingredients in my cakes, and most of the brides here do not want to pay for premium ingredients or premium work. Nonetheless, one day soon, I will give it a shot.

Are you going to stick around here, even though you will not be selling cakes anymore? I sure hope so.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

misterc Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:39am
post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Missy -

I'm so sorry to hear that things did not work out for you. I expect to undergo the same thing here, where I live. I use premium ingredients in my cakes, and most of the brides here do not want to pay for premium ingredients or premium work. Nonetheless, one day soon, I will give it a shot.

Are you going to stick around here, even though you will not be selling cakes anymore? I sure hope so.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Yes, I will stick around! I still love caking, I just don't like the brides around here or the prices they are willing to pay!

maimerbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimerbaker Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:42am
post #13 of 47

I am so sorry to hear you are closing shop. You do such beautiful work... your decision must have been very difficult, but I commend you for putting your family first. I wish you the very best of luck and hope that you keep caking in some capacity.

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:51am
post #14 of 47

i agree your work is fabulous but it's not worth all your time and energy not to get paid for it. keep posting the cakes you do make we'd hate to loose those.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:59am
post #15 of 47

Although I cannot feel how you feel since I have never been in this situation, I can still understand why. I live in a small town and I only do cakes as a hobby.. All my friends tell me everyday to open my own shop, but I keep telling them the reasons why I would not. People like my cakes and are not willing to pay the price. If I live in MYC, maybe I will do it. But for now, I will enjoy the freedom of not having to deal with "cheapskates" . icon_smile.gif

laurynrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurynrn Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:01am
post #16 of 47

Those dumb brides are missing out! Your work is amazing and you deserve top dollar!!!!

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:24am
post #17 of 47

You are a talented decorator and I can only dream of making cakes that look like yours. I feel sure you made the right decision and one day the right opportunity will come along. Do keep decorating though because I love looking at your cakes.

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:25am
post #18 of 47

I am sorry that things did not work out for you, but you are not quitting completely, you will still be making cakes for your family and posting them in CC (I hope).

Good luck!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #19 of 47

You are very talented. I can understand your frustration. Perhaps you could use your talents in other ways. Have you thought of teaching or doing videos. I would love to have someone like you teach me on videos or even instruction sheets. I am hoping to put my efforts into charity somehow. Perhaps dealing with youth at risk. That way I can do what I love and do some good. These are just some thoughts. Good luck.

misterc Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:39am
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

You are very talented. I can understand your frustration. Perhaps you could use your talents in other ways. Have you thought of teaching or doing videos. I would love to have someone like you teach me on videos or even instruction sheets. I am hoping to put my efforts into charity somehow. Perhaps dealing with youth at risk. That way I can do what I love and do some good. These are just some thoughts. Good luck.

I would love to make instruction videos but I wouldn't know where to start. Plus there are a lot of people out there that are much more knowledgable then me that could teach way more then I could ever dream of teaching. Thank you though, you just made me feel great!

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. It means a lot to me!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:39am
post #21 of 47

you're cakes are fantastic, i have a feeling you're gonna get back into it at a better time in your life.....

the cheapskate penny pinchers do wear on you after awhile...enjoy your family on your "cake selling vacation"

i bet those brides are gonna be sad when you are not available anymore...AWWWW..too bad for them.

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:28am
post #22 of 47

Good Luck. Your cakes are beautiful!

misterc Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:31am
post #23 of 47

Thank you everyone! Your comments have made me more firm in my decision and have also made me feel better about the whole thing. Thanks a million for the support!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:28am
post #24 of 47

You do beautiful cakes, your work is very inspiring. Putting your family first is a decision you wont regret. Hope everythig works out for you.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #25 of 47

It's a shame that the public won't benefit from such talent. You have gorgeous cakes...very talented!!! icon_lol.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #26 of 47

I just took a lot at your cakes and they are amazing. I am so sorry that people are not willing to "pay" for your expertise. Best of luck to you in future endeavors.

amberlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlicious Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:03am
post #27 of 47

I'm in Davis county (just moved up here from las vegas) and I'm in shock at what people want for next to nothing!! I had a bride (from Logan- wedding's in Weber) who wanted carrot cake w/ cream cheese frosting for 400 people and thought $500 was unreasonable! She found someone that would do it for $75. I told her I couldn't even buy ingredients for that and congrats on finding someone to do it for a loss.

Anyway, I'm feeling your frustrations. I do find it ironic that people will pay me so much more for desserts then for decorated cakes that take me 10x's as long.

I agree that your cakes are amazing!

misterc Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:51am
post #28 of 47

Thanks for the support everyone! It means a lot to me. And thank you for all the nice compliments too!

amastercreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amastercreation Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 7:05am
post #29 of 47

i'm so sorry to read about your situation. I'm sure it was definitely a hard one. It's so sad that a talent like yours is overlooked by individuals that can't appreciate it. i wish you much luck in your endeavors. icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:56am
post #30 of 47

Take the time to check into making videos, or teaching. You have a talent that you just need to find a way to maximize. Rarely do opportunities come looking for us. You've made the best decision for you and your family, and I applaud you. Now, start thinking and planning for what's ahead of you! All of us at CC will be wishing you the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%