Dragees At Heb !!

Decorating By MCook Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 2:18pm by Candes

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 38

I live in central Texas and I found silver and multicolored dragees at HEB!
The company on the label is India Tree and here is the website posted on the bottle :

http://www.indiatree.com/products/decorative/dragees.html

I thought these were "outlawed" in grocery stores??

37 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 38

I have those at my Heb also, but I have never heard of them being outlawed? Why, are they a choking hazard or something?

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 38

in some states like california they consider the sale there illegal because of the metals in the coating.

(however, these days, EVERYTHING will kill ya , LOL) they're a bit small for me to be worried.

thanks for the info, i've been wanted to get more,just feeling too cheap to pay the insane shipping from most online places for a few ounce bottle. thanks again.

melysa Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 38

mcook, are you near dfw?

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 38

Only California has banned them. They are considered non edible that is why they are off the supermarket shelves.

But if you use them you can warn your customers and you can still find them in most online shops.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 38

I live in CA and still find them here. Perhaps they've changed the ingredients?

MCook Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:47am
post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

mcook, are you near dfw?

I had to run to work after posting this morning---I am in Waco.

MCook Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #8 of 38

I have bought gold ones off Ebay from C&C Candies but they haven't had any in a while now but there are still others for sale on Ebay.

HEB didn't have gold, just the silver, multicolor and pearl plus colored sugars--some things I hadn't noticed before. I usually shop at Wal-Mart because they are cheaper on cake mix ($.88 for DH) and powdered sugar. Now DH mix is $.96 at Wally-World and $.89 at HEB !!

I hate the layout of our HEB's but I guess I'll have to give in and go there for my cake mix now...UGH!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCook

I usually shop at Wal-Mart because they are cheaper on cake mix ($.88 for DH) and powdered sugar. Now DH mix is $.96 at Wally-World and $.89 at HEB !!

I shop at the HEB in Katy, Texas and just on Monday I bought DH mix for 1.17!!! HEB has been raising their prices little by little. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

MCook Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 38

WOW!! What a difference from Waco to Houston area!! With gas the way it is I'm sure EVERYTHING will soon be priced out of reach of the average person. Gas here is from $3.11-$3.24 !

WM powdered sugar and thier brand of shortening is still the same--so far!
Glad they are just a block down the road from HEB.

melysa Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:43am
post #11 of 38

mcook, do you recall how much the dragees are? i'm near midlothian where there is an HEB, wondering if its worth the 20 minute trip. thanks~

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:49am
post #12 of 38

Off topic, I know, but, MCook, All I have to say is god bless you for living in Waco. I graduated from Baylor and haven't looked back since! Remember the HEB very well though! lol Hope all is still alright out there.

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:56am
post #13 of 38

What is HEB??

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:58am
post #14 of 38

Just wanted to add to the topic - I think our HEB sells them for between $9 and $15 depending on the kind of dragee you get. BTW - Kroger has cake mixes on sale this week for 50 cents each when you buy 10....just in case you hadn't heard!!! I just came back with 20!! The sale is supposed to continue next week, too!! YES!!!

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:02am
post #15 of 38

mommarivera HEB is a grocery store

MessiET Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:04am
post #16 of 38

Launa, what brand of cake mix is on sale at Krogers?

MCook Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:04am
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommarivera

What is HEB??

Internet discription of HEB---"H.E.Butt Grocery Company (abbreviated H-E-B) is a privately held San Antonio, Texas-based supermarket chain with over 300 stores throughout Texas and northern Mexico."

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:08am
post #18 of 38

Betty Crocker.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:11am
post #19 of 38

Betty Crocker is the brand on sale at Krogers.

Also, wanted to say hi to MessiET, I'm in the Richmond area, so not too far from you!

I did see that brand dragees at HEB, but they were like $12, so I opted instead to purchase them from a local cake shop, where I found a 5oz. container for $6.99.

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:15am
post #20 of 38

messiet, we're neighbors! I live in cypress and go to church in Katy.

HEB is more expensive but the Kroger's by us is going up up up on prices and walmart is too crazy for me. I will be going to Kroger for some cake mixes too. Also if anyone has kids, their goldfish crackers are also 50 cents when you buy ten.

MCook Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:22am
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsapph

Off topic, I know, but, MCook, All I have to say is god bless you for living in Waco. I graduated from Baylor and haven't looked back since! Remember the HEB very well though! lol Hope all is still alright out there.

OH NO !! Hope you didn't shop at the HEB "on campus"--it's needed to be bulldozed for years but it's still open!! What a dump!! Besides that one, there are 4 other HEB's in the Waco area now. Yes, Waco is not a real "happening" place. LOL!! But, I was born and raised here so.....guess I'll stay.

melysa Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:22am
post #22 of 38

so about 12 dollars for the dragees? how many ounces ?

bwonderful Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:43am
post #23 of 38

My sister went to Baylor and I went to visit her one weekend when I was underage so she took me to HEB... that was my big time visiting my older sister at college. She took me the HEB in waco to grocery shop. But that is the first time I had ever seen alcohol in a grocery store since I grew up in a dry county. It blew me away!

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:12am
post #24 of 38

AHHH! Now I'm all excited and going to have go to HEB PLUS. I Live in Corpus Christi. I hope they have them here. I haven't seen those since I was a kid.

txgracefully Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txgracefully Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:20am
post #25 of 38

I wonder if we have them at our H.E.B? In what section did you see the dragees? I will be checking tomorrow. I'm in SA.

bwonderful Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:32am
post #26 of 38

My HEB has them on the baking aisle by the spices. The Island company brand.. or whatever the name is.. has it's own little section with fancy sugars and all kinds of cool stuff. hope you find them at your HEB

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 4:36am
post #27 of 38

I'm in the Rio Grande Valley and haven't seen them in any of the HEBs here icon_sad.gif

I always have to order them online since we don't have any supply shops around here.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:18am
post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgracefully

I wonder if we have them at our H.E.B? In what section did you see the dragees? I will be checking tomorrow. I'm in SA.

Yes, they've had them since just before Christmas. The HEB at 1604 and 281 on the Northside has a good selection (silver, pearls, multicolor) in the aisle with the spices (if you go, you can say hi to my little sister Katie, she works there icon_biggrin.gif ) and the Brookhollow HEB has the India Co colored sugars but no dragees. I haven't noticed if they have them at the HEB at Jones Maltsberger and Thousand Oaks because their baking aisle is always too crowded to even go through. HEB Plus at 1604 and Blanco didn't seem to have any, but it was my first time there and I might have looked in the wrong place.

Gosh, I sound like I have no life and all I do is go to HEB all day long! icon_redface.gif I'm avoiding my neighbors so I go to the ones a little further out from me, but I alternate so I can see what they might have on clearance. The other day I got HCF unflavored gelatin for 25 cents a box at one of the HEBs (but I bought it all).

MessiET Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 11:39am
post #29 of 38

Hello YelloButterfly and BWonderful:
Just wanted to say that I have been shopping for my cake supplies at the Cake Craft Shoppe in Sugar Land (Hwy 6) and their prices for dragees are very reasonable. I paid 10.69 for ghe 5 oz gold dragees and 5.49 for 5 oz edible pearls.

I don't know why we have 3 cake supply shops in the southwest part of town and none on my neck of the woods... does anyone see a business op?

Bwonderul: what church in Katy?

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #30 of 38

MessiET - yes, that's where I go as well, in fact that's where I bought the dragees I mentioned. If I can't find what i need at Michael's or Hobby Lobby (gotta love those coupons), then the cake shop is where I go (and they have so many neat toys!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%