Can Anyone Tell Me How This Was Done.......

Decorating By chrissysconfections Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 6:37pm by melissa043

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 13

I have someone interested in a carousel cake for a baby shower and I was searching the net looking for ideas. I really like this cake and I think it would be what they are looking for but I don't know how the horses where made. I'm thinking possibly chocolate transfers but I'm not sure and I've never done anything like that before.
I'm also having a hard time finding pics out there and CC isn't bringing up any hits either (when it's up) so I'm running out of time and short on ideas!

Does anyone know a place that sells the little plastic horses? I've seen quite a few cakes with them on it but no place to purchase it....not even DecoPac has anything.

Thanks in advance!
Chrissy
LL

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 13

I agaree they probably are choco transfers.
Have you thought of a candy mold? Global Sugar art has some really interesting ones along w/some horse cutters.
Plain choco transfers are easy to do them maybe color them w/felt-tip pens OR paint them w/gel colors mixed w/vodka (or similar).
You won't get plastics that nice but you might try DecoPac.

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 13

Looks like a chocolate transfer to me, too.

You could cut them out of fondant and paint, but the way they did it with the white chocolate looks very pretty.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 13

i say definitely CC. looks somewhat similair to carleens horses and i know she mentioned that her's were done with chocolate...btw, her transfers are absolutely amazing!

http://www.frostingwithflair.com/html/cakes/html/single/html/carousel.html

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

i say definitely CC. looks somewhat similair to carleens horses and i know she mentioned that her's were done with chocolate...btw, her transfers are absolutely amazing!

http://www.frostingwithflair.com/html/cakes/html/single/html/carousel.html

WOW, those chocolate transfers will give WBH a run for their money. I'm still trying to figure out how she got those very super thin details inside the transfer. lol

Is she a CC member?

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 13

If you don't feel comfortable doing the chocolate transfers for the horses...I took a look at the site and Tamatha did a carousel cake and used fondant horses that look quite cute on her cake. I also saw some that look like cookies that are decorated....
I hope this helps. The fondant horses are probably what I would do...it looked like she rolled it out and used a cookie cutter to cut out the horse shape and then after they dried she decorated them....

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 13

I agree they look like choco xfers. Here are a couple of carousel horse templates you might be able to use.
LL
LL

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 13

That is my cake icon_lol.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=303323

But I think i did get my inspiration from Frostings with Flair if I remember correctly. The horses are chocolate transfers.

That cake was a real PITA. The top was a nightmare.

melissa043 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa043 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 13

ButterWench, i have made a bunch of CT and i actually use the sugarveil system. i am able to get really great thin lines and i can get alot of detail. usaribbon.gif

cakesnkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkids Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:01am
post #10 of 13

I am a great fan of the chocolate transfer, and many years ago did a tutorial for a friend...it might help you

http://us.1.p4.geocities.com/heathers_cakes2000/chocolatedemo.html?1109787013625

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa043

ButterWench, i have made a bunch of CT and i actually use the sugarveil system. i am able to get really great thin lines and i can get alot of detail. usaribbon.gif

OMG is that how it's done?

icon_redface.gif

Now I can see, do you use the melted chocolate in the system and do the fine details then just flood it in with the melted chocolate?

I am swooning, I got the Ultimate Fabric Painter, the air powered Fabric Decorator and I have the red compressor from my airbrush ready to go.

Tell me , tell me it it so

icon_biggrin.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesnkids

I am a great fan of the chocolate transfer, and many years ago did a tutorial for a friend...it might help you

http://us.1.p4.geocities.com/heathers_cakes2000/chocolatedemo.html?1109787013625

That's your tutorial?! I send that one around all the time when people ask me how to do them!

melissa043 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissa043 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 13

ButterWench....
Yes i use the melted choc. in the system for all the small details. BUt then since i have to fill in small sections with the colored choc. i still use the system with a different tip (a bigger one) and kind of just flood it in that way. So i have more control of when it starts and stops. The only thing i hate about the whole process is having to clean everything out. But it works soo great and im able to do the smallest details, so its well worth it. If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me! But i hope i was able to help!! usaribbon.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%