Adding Fruit Puree To Buttercream

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 2 May 2015 , 11:54pm by Tiayayacupcakes

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:25am
post #1 of 11

Can you add any fruit puree to a buttercream? Will it not curdle or break it down, can you still use it to decorate with?

I was thinking along the lines of strawberry or rasberry..

Sorry if this seems like a silly question

I use the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco recipe.

Thanks

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 7:45am
post #2 of 11

I added raspberry to buttercream the other day, but just to use as a filling. It was actually raspberry jam that I strained the seeds out of, and added a little chambord to sweeten it. I would have had to add more powdered sugar if I had wanted to decorate with it.

If it's just the color and flavor that you want to add, I have had good luck in the past adding McCormick liquid extracts to buttercream, and they make both a strawberry and a raspberry. They're both colored and will change the color of the frosting, but that way it would stay smooth and you wouldn't have to worry about little seeds or possibly bits of fruit clogging up your decorating tips.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 11

I make fruit buttercream all the time - some blend better than others, and I find it doesn't necessarily "re-beat" well - you should use it when you first make it.

I've tried it in both a Swiss Meringue buttercream as well as an American buttercream (I only use butter-no crisco), and found that the American holds up a little better, but both work well.

It's a little extra work, but nothing tastes better than real fruit, IMHO. I make a mango buttercream on a coconut cake that is to die for.

I work in a restaurant and we always have a variety of frozen fruit puree that has just fruit and sugar in it, so I buy that to make my fruit buttercreams with. Yes, I'm spoiled rotten. If you know someone in the restaurant industry who can order stuff from Sysco for you, that might be a way to go. It also makes great sorbet base (which is what we use them for at the restaurant).

If I had to make my own, I'd cook down either fresh or frozen fruit with a little sugar, then puree and strain it. Think "baby food consistency".

Just remember it will need to be refrigerated.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 11

I also make the buttercream recipe with simple syrup and lots of butter and have added a cooked and cooled rasberry puree...it is wonderful.....I would love to have the mango buttercream recipe posted above if you would like to share it with us...please?

HerBoudoir Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 11

I just do a simple American buttercream base - 1 lb butter to 2 lbs sugar beaten well (about 6-7 minutes in a kitchen aid), then toss in 3 T boiling water and beat in. Add about 1 cup of mango (or other fruit) puree, and there you go. If it's a little too soft, add some more 10x.

Bobby Flay did a caramelized mango buttercream on gingerbread cupcakes on a Throwdown episode -that recipe is probably floating around the web somewhere.

I tried my mango buttercream on my gingerbread cupcakes - it was a really awesome combination, but not for folks who are averse to trying something totally different.

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 11

you are the best...thanks for sharing with us.

HerBoudoir Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 11

Any time!

Tiayayacupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiayayacupcakes Posted 2 May 2015 , 5:18am
post #8 of 11

thank you this helps I have some kiwis I want to use my BF loves kiwi update to come!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 2 May 2015 , 5:29am
post #9 of 11

Kiwis have a very mild flavor so you will definitely want to make a lot of puree and cook it down to concentrate the flavor.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 2 May 2015 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 11

lemon and lime curds blend very nicely into buttercream as well.

Tiayayacupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiayayacupcakes Posted 2 May 2015 , 11:54pm
post #11 of 11

So I made the butter cream, but I think thats what I needed to cook it down also the buttercream curdled? it doesn't hold up? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%