Help - Sheet Cakes To Feed 300

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm by 2sdae

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:12am
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to do sheet cakes to feed 300 people for a company barbeque. I have never done anything like this, I don't know where to start. How many 12x18's would I need to make?? What would I charge for something like this. I have just done for family and friends character cakes and such, I normally charge around $50.

Is $50 too much per sheet cake, should it be more or less? They want a picture of a backhoe or something like that - heavy duty equipment, and their company logo.

Also, I have never filled a cake this large, any suggestions with that!

Any help would be much appreciated! I would love to try this but I am really unsure of where to begin!

Thanks again! icon_surprised.gif

3 replies
milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:49am
post #2 of 4

Hi,

I think 50.00 is way too little to charge for sheet cakes! I charge 2dollars a slice (I'm in California) which would be around 200 bucks as a 14 X 22 sheet cake feeds approx 98 people. I mean it takes like 17 cups of batter for one pan. You are charging 50 cent per slice which is a little low for me but that's just my opinion. Anyways, I usually freeze my sheets wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and foil then partially thaw them to torte and fill them (if I fill them, with a cake at 50 cent per serving, they wouldn't get filling).

12 X 18 sheets (which you mentioned in your post) serve between 70-72 people and would require 14-15 cups of batter . So you would need at least 3 since everyone won't eat cake or 4 if you want to be closer to 300.
HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 4

A single layer 12x18, when cut in 2x2x2 pieces, will serve 54 (round numbers, 50). So you would need 6 of these minimum. I charge $1.50/serving for sheets, so the price is $75 each. If they plan to cut the pieces bigger, they need to order more cake but you charge for the number of servings the cake is designed to serve, not how many pieces they plan to cut from it!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 4

I do a 12x18x3 single layer torted with butter cream and iced in same with minimal decoration, borders & a couple of roses or daisies, for a price of $85.00. That serves 108 by wilton charts and servings but I SAY 100. 22 cups of batter per pan. so I would make 3 of these and charge accordingly.

I use my "borrowed" from a friend, gee hope she doesn't want it back, agbay leveler and then slide a cardboard cake board between the layers to lift the top layer fill and slide the top layer off as I move the board over the cake back towards me. Make sure you are centered and have it where you want it before you slide it all the way off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%