Half Chocolate, Half White Sheet Cake

Decorating By Hawkette Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 10:39pm by fiddlesticks

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 9

Ok, dumb question, but I'm new to this. A friend asked me to make a sheet cake for her son's birthday this Saturday that is half chocolate and half white. How do most of you do that? Do you bake two square cakes, one in each flavor? Then just trim and frost them as one cake? Or do you pour both batters into one pan (maybe with a divider and then remove the divider right before you put it in the oven? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(Hopefully someone will see this. I've been trying for a week to get on CC. I know Heath and Jackie do a great job, and we're all so hopelessly addicted that even minor downtime sends us into withdrawal. But hopefully I can view the answers before Saturday, too. icon_biggrin.gif )

8 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:02am
post #2 of 9

I do the divider way... but alot of people (if they have help) pour the batters in at the same time.

I just put a reynolds wrap strip (which has been folder over a few times and is as tall as the pan) in the middle of the pan.. mold it to the side of the pan and spray it with a little oil spray... while I am pouring one side I have something on the other side of the reynolds wrap dam to keep it from moving....then remove that and quickly pour in the other side icon_wink.gif

Hope this helps!!!

Christi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 9

I use one pan, no divider. (It's not Kool-Aid .... it won't run together. It's batter....it will stop when the two flavors get to each other).

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 9

LOL what she said icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #5 of 9

I do this when making a two layer sheet cake. I bake one layer of each flavor then just cut them in half and stack white on white and chocolate on chocolate. icon_smile.gif

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 9

Great advice, as always. Thanks!

Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 9

I use a piece of cardboard cake board cut to fit the slightly larger than the width of the pan I am using, then fold one end in one directiona and the other end in the opposite direction so that it will stan up. Next I cover it in press and seal. After I pour the batter in I just lift it straight up and out. It works great.

Sue

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use one pan, no divider. (It's not Kool-Aid .... it won't run together. It's batter....it will stop when the two flavors get to each other).

This is what I do too. I just put one bowl in one hand and one bowl in the other and pour. They meet nicely in the middle. Never had a problem.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 9

I did pm indydebi about this awhile back . I was more worried about the fact that my choc always rises so much taller then my other flavors, and it would be sooo different in height ! But she says to just trim them even ! duh !!! lol! I havent had to try it yet !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%