1St Time Making Chocolate Mmf

Decorating By eieio1234 Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 3:26pm by eieio1234

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 11

I have ventured out and tried to make chocolate mmf... I got all the ingredients to come together in a ball, and will let it rest overnight. As of now it's kind of an odd texture, like nugant kinda! Is that how it's supposed to be right now? I've never made mmf from scratch so I don't know if I have it right!

When going to work it tomorrow, I assume I grease my hands and counter, any other hints for someone who's a newbie to this??

10 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:44am
post #2 of 11

i'm with you on this. i made choco mmf two days ago and it tasted really good but it's so hard. i tried nuking it for like 10 seconds, it would be okay but it gets hard fast.

i haven't tried kneading in shortening yet although i might try corn syrup cause i read that it will help. anyway, if i have time tonight to try it, i'll let you know how it goes. icon_smile.gif

eieio1234 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 11

I was just working with it *unsucessfully!* and decided to check if anyone responded. It's crumbly and hard! I nuked it also, it helped a teeny bit. I've worked sooooo much shortening into it, it's just getting sticky now. I don't know if it needs to go in the trash or if it can be salvaged! I guess I'll search and see if I can find anything!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 11

It should be close to the same consistency of regular MMF. I made chocolate MMF for the first time yesterday (I'll attach the cake pic) and I have ALWAYS used Chocolate Satin Ice, but decided to experiment...It turned out great! I added a bit of corn syrup for elasticity. It sounds like maybe you need more liquid. Try making it back into a ball, micro for 30 seconds and try kneading a bit?? I HOPE THAT HELPS!
LL

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 11

I use Rhonda's chocolate fondant recipe. The first time I made it, it was hard and crumbly. The second time, I realized I was not following the recipe to the letter (can't remember what I was doing wrong) but it came out great. It was a little too soft at first, but after 24 hrs it was fine. I added some chocolate/hazelnut flavor and it really smelled and tasted great.

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 11

Which recipe did you use?

I use a bag of chocolate marshmallows, 1T water, about 1T shortening and about 2lbs of powdered sugar.

Nuke the marshmallows, water and shortening at 30 second intervals to melt the marshmallows, then mix in p.s. a spoonful at a time to make it less sticky. Then dump it into a bowl filled with the remainder of the p.s and knead until it can't take any more p.s. into it. **If you over nuke the marshmallows to begin with, it will be hard and not work well.**

The only thing I can imagine is if you made it all from scratch and the chocolate you added did something weird to the texture. I made fondant for candy centers for Christmas and when I added melted chocolate, the fondant turned out hard as a rock and very difficult to work with when I was trying to make my candy centers... Hope that helps, keep trying, it'll work out for you eventually and you'll be glad you kept at it!

eieio1234 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm SO frustrated with it right now. The only good thing is it was a cake just wanted to make, there's no customer, thank God!

After researching on the net it seems dryness it common with cmmf, (I used the highest rated recipe on here, I forget the author) so I just kept kneading some water and then tons of shortening in it. the texture is MUCH better, but now when I go to roll it, it tears when I go to pick it up and move it! I tried shortening on everything, it made it get gooey and stick to the rolling pin. I tried cornstarch and it was better, but same ripping problem. It almost seems too soft now. Ugh! It's annoying me so bad! Any ideas?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 9:36am
post #8 of 11

what i did was just abandon my choco mmf icon_sad.gif i'm still gonna eat it though cause it tastes really good. i used rhonda's choco mmf recipe too.

my first mmf try was so much better though.

eieio1234 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:41am
post #9 of 11

Mine is going in the trash this morning. After reading stuff on the net, it seems if I would have put in one cup less of p.s. I would have been alright. Then if it needed more ps it could have been kneaded in. It was just way too dry, even before setting overnight it was crumbly. Oh well, I'll try it again next week!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 11

awww icon_sad.gif you can't eat it? i'm just gonna eat mine and if my younger cousins come to visit i'll let them play with it and eat it. LOL it tastes really really yummy

eieio1234 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 11

I have 15 lbs to lose, I had to throw that vile (a.k.a. yummy!) stuff away before I ate it! I had too many pieces of it yesterday, so for the sake of my ever-increasing hip measurement, I had to toss it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%