Anyone From Around Tampa Florida?

Lounge By Donnagardner Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 5:31pm by darcat

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 6

I am looking in the area of Plant City Florida to move there in a couple of years when DD gets out of high school. My husband works for Dart Ploymer and they have a plant there he can transfer to. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Donna

5 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:09am
post #2 of 6

Well to be honest plant city and tampa are two very different places
about an hr to an hr and a half away from each other
plant city is rural in the sense that the majority of industry there is agricultural based
plant city is famous for oranges and strawberries and is about 30 min from Orlando/Disney.

However they are building up incredibly fast when it comes to things like stores, restaurants etc.
its very pretty and quiet

tampa on the other hand is very crowded and just a regular city
personally i am not fond of tampa- noone I know actually likes tampa as a place to live- only thing there I like is Bush Gardens and the Renaissance festival.
USF (University of South Florida) is in tampa so you will find that traffic can be a living nightmare and theres really not a whole lot to do.
Being on the west coast you have the Gulf of Mexico and not the Atlantic Ocean. There are times when there is no wind and no current on the Gulf and the beach smells horribly of stagnant water and dying seaweed- not a personal favorite of mine.

Where are you moving from and what kind of life style are you looking for?

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 6

Ditto on what Auryn said.

Plant City is still very rural. There is a mall not too far away (Lakeland), and then you have Orlando in one direction and Brandon (LOTS of shopping) and Tampa in the other direction.

My good friend lives in PC on a couple of acres - surrounded by cows, a strawberry field, and trees. There were some developments that sprung up - but the housing issues have kept that from getting out of control.

I think the biggest thing is the Strawberry Festival each year.

We lived about 30 mins north of Tampa (downtown) for 15 years, and last year we moved about 30 mins south of Tampa to an area that is still pretty rural. We are close to the coast (5 mins to the boat ramp), and we don't have the stinky water problem down here like they do closer to Tampa. We fish a lot, and haven't really had any problems here.

When we were looking to move a couple of years ago - we had really narrowed it down to Plant City and where we are now. Both had real nice, rural areas. The only reason we picked down here was to be closer to the boat ramp icon_cool.gif .

HTH!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks Auryn and itsmylife. I am from Leesburg originally and am not to interested in moving back to that city. Not much there. We live in a city of about 60,000 right now in Northwestern Kentucky. My DH is originally from Iowa and wants to move where the sun shines most of the time instead of our gray dreary winter days we have here. I am so sick of cold weather I could scream. DH wants a couple of acres or so with a big garage and I want a house that has a nice kitchen for cake decorating. All the kids will be grown and on their own in 2 years so we want to downsize our home. My middle daughter has just moved from Leesburg to Winte haven but does not know much about the area yet. Thanks for all your information. I will also have to find new cake buddies after the move.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 6

Donna
definitely go with Plant City or Lakeland

I will actually be in Lakeland- meaning Im going to drive through plant city) next weekend
if you want I can take some pictures for you.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 6

I was just in Brandon about a short drive from Plant city I was visiting the in-laws for the first time. My mom and dad in-law live in brandon and my brother in-law lives in plant city. I was there for 5 weeks october/november 2007 and I have to say I fell in love with both cities. I found them very quiet and relaxing. Me and dh went to ybor city and bush gardens by bus as well as tampa city I found it very easy to get around and that brandon and plant city were like small country town living. Of course I come from a city of 1.5 million people and have never lived anywhere else but I sure would love to move to either of those places.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%