Luau Theme For 16 Yoa Boy

Decorating By momof2cutebugs Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 11:47am by mgigglin

momof2cutebugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof2cutebugs Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 7

I have an order for a luau themed cake for a 16 yoa boy and i am drawing blanks everything i've thought of seems girly. Party is april 19th
THANKS

6 replies
kimm889793 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimm889793 Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 7

Hi! I just did a luau themed cake for a man. I carved a 'shirt' from an 11X16 and a 9X13....blue buttercream icing with fondant palm trees, color flow anchors and paddles and small flowers to decorate. I placed a pair of chocolate fondant flip flops on the board by it and a fondant beach towel with his name on one side also. I put half of a real lea around the neck of the shirt. Chocolate shells around the brown sugar sand~ My pics are still on my camera but the original design came from http://mauiweddingcakes.com/Gallery/Maui_Themed/index.htm

Hope you get an idea! Kim

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 7

I would go with Tiki Gods, palm trees, bamboo borders or sides of cake, surf boards.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 7

I did a Hawiian themed bridal shower cake last year. I don't know if you could take any ideas from it or not. If you do any fondant modeling, you could have him on a beach with a surf board, have some palm trees, etc. You should do a search in the photo gallery for luau, hawiian, or beach themed cakes. There are some really good cakes to give you ideas. Cakes Unleashed has an amazing Hawiian cake posted. Good luck. Be sure to post your finished cake. HTH

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:46am
post #5 of 7

I'm doing my DD's "Beach" cake. A beach umbrella, 2 chairs, a table, coconut drinks, a towel... The usual. Take a look at my photos. "Sick of Winter" is the place to start.
HTH

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:10am
post #6 of 7

If he's into sports, take a sheet cake and carve it into a surf board.

Or you can make a beach scene on top of a cake and add a surfer topper:

Here's an example of one.....
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:sgpAMZqtiH8J:www.fancyflours.com/surfer-on-surfboard.html+surf+board+cake&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:47am
post #7 of 7

I have done a luau cake for a 13 yr old boy... I did a 9 in round half beach half was the ocean rolling up on the beach. I used piping gel for the water and crushed nilla wafers for the sand. I made 3 surfboards 2 stood up on each side of the cake and the 3rd was for a surfer cookie kid that was in the water... just for giggles I made a shark fin sugar cookie and stuck it behind the surfer! I had used the little gingerbread cookie cutter on sugar cookies and used the grass tip for grass skirts and stuff... then just painted shorts on the boys. The birthday boy loved it, too!
there are so many different things you can do... have fun!!

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%