A Couple Of Questions About Chocolate Molds...

Decorating By DoniB Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 1:37pm by DoniB

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 11:35am
post #1 of 5

Hey all!

I made my father in law's 60th birthday cake this past weekend. It was a chess theme, so I ordered molds for the chess board and the pieces. I'm not upset with how they turned out, since it was my first time trying something like this, but does anyone have any tips for me here? icon_razz.gif

First of all, when putting the pieces together to make the 3-D chess pieces, how in the world to you get it so that there's no 'leakage' on the sides that then has to be chipped off once they're done? Or is there a much easier way to not have to chip/trim? icon_razz.gif While I don't mind it so much, handling the pieces even for a few minutes to do the chipping/trimming made the chocolate lose its sheen, even with plastic gloves on. I've seen folks who's pieces are nice and perfect and shiny. How'd you do that?? icon_razz.gif

Second, does anyone have any suggestions for keeping the lines nice and straight when filling in the chess board? I tried my best to keep it in the lines, but always seemed to go over. So my lines aren't nice and crisp. Is this just a practice thing, or is there a trick of the trade that someone can offer? icon_smile.gif

Thanks for any advice! Below is a picture of the finished cake, so you might be able to see what I mean about the lines and the sheen...
LL

4 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 11:53am
post #2 of 5

Can't answer your question, but awesome cake icon_smile.gif Where did you get the molds?

DoniB Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you!

I got them from a place here in NC, actually... It's Confectionary House, and they were great to work with. Very helpful and quick with the e-mails to let you know how things are going. icon_smile.gif

http://www.confectioneryhouse.com

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 5

I think you did a great job on your cake icon_smile.gif I would love to know how you did the squares-they look much better than you think!

DoniB Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 5

I very carefully outlined the squares before filling them in. There are 16 squares in the mold, with slightly raised edges for each square. Once I had the white filled in, I filled in the rest with milk chocolate.

I tried staying right within those lines, but some spooged over now and again. icon_razz.gif It's not perfect, but not too bad... I'd just like to know if there's a trick to getting it perfect, since I've seen some done that were absolutely gorgeous. icon_smile.gif

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%