Question On Making A Cakestand

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm by tiggy2

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 10:43am
post #1 of 6

I have a large cake order for next week (bototm is 12x12 square). Being the customer is driving the cake almost 2 hrs away, was thinking of getting a square of plexiglass as the stand, for sturdiness, instead of just cake boards. this cake will be an 8" square on a 12" square - how thick should I get to make this sturdy? Also want to find some sort of "feet" to put on the bottom, is this a good idea? Can I put the cake directly on the plexiglass or should I put cake cardboard under it? Yes, this is my first time doing something so large for someone else and am very nervous! icon_eek.gif

Deb

5 replies
MomLittr Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:33am
post #2 of 6

Anyone have any suggestions? Also, can I put the cake directly on the plexiglass, or should it go on some sort of cake board first - don't want it sliding around when she is taking it away, so worried I have no control of it after it leaves my hands!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 6

I have never used the plexiglass. My DH made me some wood bases and added little "feet" at the bottom so that I could at least grab the board more easily. The little "feet" I am talking about are the little bumps that nail to the bottom of the chair legs... I have no idea what they are called.

I don't see any problem with the cake sitting on top of the plexiglass. Be aware that when the cake is cut, your plexiglass may be scratched...

MomLittr Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 6

What do you cover your wood with? I was just wondering which one would be the easiest to make, and least heavy to carry. Thanks!

deb

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 6

I cover it with the wilton silver or gold papers. I had a friend I made a cake for and they cut through the wilton paper when they were cutting the cake, and the board got grease stains from the buttercream. So now, what I have done is covered the boards with shelf paper and then the wilton paper on top. That has worked out for me.

The wood is definitely heavy!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 6

You can also use ceramic tile or mirrors for cake boards and no need to cover with anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%