Wilton Dvd Was Bad

Decorating By tonimarie Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 12:52pm by sugarshack

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 26

icon_cry.gif Does anyone know of a GOOD DVD that shows cake decorating-fondant and buttercream? I bought the Wilton Cake Decorating Basics and was majorly disappointed. My problem is that all the tutorials freeze on my computer and take FOREVER to get through, so I'm looking for a good DVD to learn some new stuff.

25 replies
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 26

Have you tried Sugarshack's dvd? I have her buttercream one (very good) and she has a fondant one out that I don't have but hear is every bit as good as the buttercream one.

Deanna

CreamPuffGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreamPuffGal Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 26

Hi,

I have the 2 DVD's from cakesmadeeasy.com and have learned a ton from them. It's so easy to follow along with the video step-by-step they provide.

My computer has had no trouble playing them. It's a laptop so it's playing on the kitchen counter with me as I bake.

I would also check your computer system. You may need to upgrade something if it's more than a few years old. I'm no technology wiz, just making a suggestion to be sure it's the computer and not the DVDs that are freezing up.

CPG

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 26

I have both of Sugarshack's videos - Perfecting the Art of Buttercream and Fabulous Fondant. I highly recommend them both. You won't regret buying them. She has another one - Successful Stacking - coming out soon.

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:17am
post #5 of 26

I have both of sugarshack's dvd's, they are wonderful. I highly recommend them. she shows everyhting in such detail. They have really brought my cake decorating up a few notches.

tonimarie Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #6 of 26

icon_biggrin.gif thank you guys-- I'm going to try sugarshack's DVD's. It's not the DVD that run slow and freeze, it's when I try to watch a video tutorial from the CC website or you tube that I have problems with freezing-but thanks anyway.

jenjens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenjens Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:43am
post #7 of 26

where can I get though DVDs y'all are talking about. I did a search for sugarshack and I didn't find anything remotely dealing with cakes......the things they brought up are........adult themed LOL

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 2:05am
post #8 of 26

Sugarshack is a CC member. Her name is Sharon. Do a member search for Sugarshack, and on the bottom of her posts is a link to her dvds.

Deanna

jenjens Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:11am
post #9 of 26

I tried that earlier and I got her recipes but not her profile information. It's prolly a glitch. I will look out for her in the meantime.

jenjens Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:12am
post #10 of 26

ok for all who wanted to know where to get the DVDs I got it to work finally it's:

www.sugaredproductions.com

HTH

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:30am
post #11 of 26

Thank you! PM me with any questions. icon_smile.gif

cakesnkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkids Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 4:47am
post #12 of 26

I have to agree on buying Sharon's dvds, a priceless bakers helper there!

twinkletwinkledliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletwinkledliz Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 26

yup, like everyone else...Sugarshack is the best!!!!! icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 26

I know it's going to sound corny, but Sugarshack's DVDs (I have both) helped me improve my cake decorating all around. Now that my plain cakes look so good, I do a much better job on the decorating (probably all in my head). Also, it has encouraged me to try new techniques and has really boosted my cake decorating self confidence. I highly recommend her DVDs. I'm anxiously awaiting the Successful Stacking DVD.

tonimarie Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 5:05pm
post #15 of 26

icon_smile.gifJust ordered Sugarshack's DVDs-buttercream and Fondant. I can't wait to get them! Thanks for all the input thumbs_up.gif

jenjens Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 8:15pm
post #16 of 26

I have to wait a few weeks to order them but it's on my wish list for mother's day.

cakesnkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkids Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:30pm
post #17 of 26

YAY!!!

lolabunny7178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolabunny7178 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:42pm
post #18 of 26

I love sugarshack's buttercream, I don't know if it's the shortening or how it's mixed, but it comes out so creamy and I have virtually no smoothing. Before I would work for hours trying to get my cakes perfectly smooth. Great DVD's.

suzzana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzzana Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:01pm
post #19 of 26

I have both of Sharon's DVDs. The buttercream has helped me make a tremendous improvement on icing my cakes. Also using her buttercream recipe which tastes better, looks better and spreads easier. Haven't used the fondant DVD yet but can't wait! I have preordered her successful stacking DVD.....can't wait for that to arrive.

tonimarie Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 6:36pm
post #20 of 26

guess what? my sugarshack DVD's got here already! You know what I'm doing the rest of the day..........will post back after I view them. I'm sooooooo excited. icon_biggrin.gif

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 7:01pm
post #21 of 26

You will LOVE her DVDs. Her BC one is so good that when I took a cake to a class that I pre-iced with her technique everyone wanted to know why I was in an intro class with a cake like that. Even the instructor loved it! I also have her fondant DVD and it is just as good. I am eagerly awaiting the stacking one and hope she has even more great ideas/tips/DVDs coming in the future.

tonimarie Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:35am
post #22 of 26

thumbs_up.gif wow......I just got through watching the buttercream DVD. I am in awe. I love this woman! She is just fabulous. I learned more in that DVD than I have in the 8 years I've been trying to teach myself. My next step is looking up her recipe for buttercream icing. Would highly recommend this to everyone. Do you suppose she'll ever put out a video that goes into borders and those kind of techniques??? I sure hope so.

lolabunny7178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolabunny7178 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:34pm
post #23 of 26

here is the link to another forum post on sharon's icing. It has a link to her youtube video and to a forum post on tips.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5877778#5877778

This is the first time I have tried to put in a link so I hope it works. If not let me know and I'll try again.

sugarshack Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:47am
post #24 of 26

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!

tonimarie Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:16am
post #25 of 26

I just finished a practice cake using sugarshacks method for buttercream. I must admit that she makes it look alot easier! But my cake is smoother than I have ever done before. I know that if I keep practicing it will get easier and easier. I know part of the problem was that I tried to make a smaller batch of icing, and had tons of air bubbles. I will definetely not do that again!

sugarshack Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:52pm
post #26 of 26

great news, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%