Ingredients Going Up Soon... In Fact, Already Rising

Decorating By loriana Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 1:28am by playingwithsugar

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 4

Hi folks,

Some of you have noticed the change in the pricing of flour. This article was on Yahoo business today and I thought I would share. When the price of corn goes up, so do all other basic commodities, including sugar and flour. Corn is a staple commodity in the US and affects pricing all over agriculture because of corn's other uses: fuel, feed for cattle, etc...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080331/planting_report.html

May want to raise your pricing now already to acclimate your customers to rising costs... just thought I would share.

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 10:03am
post #2 of 4

Keep your chin up! I read an article in Baking Business Weekly, and I certainly hope they are right.

Projections for the soft wheat crop (what they make cake flour and pastry flour from) indicate a larger crop than expected. So unless they get stubborn on us and refuse to lower the prices, then prices on those commodities should only be up for a while.

This reminds me so much of the early 1970's. Gas prices up, shortages about.

Now, what did I do with that WIN button?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 4

It started a long time ago. My egg cost has gone up 78% in 6 months. Chicken has gone up 38% in 4 months. Salad dressing has gone up 25%; my cheapo margarine went up 15% from one week to the next; 50-lb bag of flour went up $6 in 3 weeks .... that a 35% increase. The french toast stix I use for breakfast caterings went up 48%. For my fraternity caterings, I use 16oz plastic cups that are "green", using corn. They went up 32%.

If you're not keeping a spreadsheet on your costs, start one. You will be very surprised at how high and how often these prices jump.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 1:28am
post #4 of 4

Great advice about the spreadsheet comparisons, Indydebi. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%