Cookie Advice

Baking By joeskitty Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 8:05pm by linedancer

joeskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeskitty Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all

I'm new to the cookie world. I am making the NFSC recipe for favors for a bridal shower im putting on. So the theme is hot pink and lime green polka dots. I'm making 4 inch circle cookies. So heres the question. I bought some RI mix from the cake store cause ive never used it before and the lady there recommended it. Ok so this is what I was gonna do. Outline the cookie in white and then outline like quarter and nickel size dots in the other colors and then flood the white and then the colored circles. So if i do this will the colors run together? And do I have to let the out line dry before I flood with the colors. I really want a all smooth finish. Or should I just stick with doing the dots in fondant? Thanks for all your advice and help.

9 replies
stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 10

You need to let all outlines dry fully before flooding. You will also want to use a slightly thinner RI for the flooding than for the outlining. The way you are thinking will work, but the outline will stand out a bit. If you want it to be a very smooth finish, I would use the thinned RI in pink and carefully flood the cookies without an outline, and then once it is dry, either do the green dots in fondant, or flood the green RI on top. HTH!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 10

Personally, because I am an avid MMF fan for cookies, I would go fondant all the way. Bake your cookies, make your fondant ( I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF recipe, thanks Rhonda). Color some hot pink, some lime green. Roll out your dominate color, say your hot pink, a little thicker than normal, roll some small balls of your complimentary color, your lime green and lay on the hot pink Then roll it again, your lime green will make dots on the hot pink. The size of your dots will depend on how big you make the balls of lime green. Then you cut the fondant with your cookie cutter and lay on your cookie. You can use thinned corn syrup to attach the fondant to the cookie. You are done, no muss, no fuss, little drying time. I usually let mine lay out for a couple of hours before I bag them. This is how I did the attached music notes. Hope this helps. If you have more questions, do not hesitate to pm me.
LL

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 10

You can do polka dots without letting the lines dry and they will not run (at least mine didn't). You will get a nice flat look too.

Flood your base color and then drop dots of color all over right after you are done flooding. The polka dots will spread a bit, so make them smaller than you want them to be. I did it with pink base color and white polka dots and they turned out looking just like the MMF cookies above. I've also done it using fondant and they look just like the MMF cookies above too. Whatever floats your boat. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 11:57am
post #5 of 10

linedancer............those cookies rock!!! Love em!!

linedancer Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 12:20pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks, KHalstead, I've been having a blast with cookies!!

joeskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeskitty Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 10

Sorry for the response delay. I havent been able to get on here lately when I try it says its down.

Linedancer-the cookie is so cute. Thats how I want mine to look but i it seems really complicated. lol

michelle-So if I do it like you suggested with the outline and flood. And then drop the color in now does the color that im dropping in have to be thinned also?

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 10

Just make sure the consistency of your icing is the same when you do the wet on wet dots.

Otherwise, say if your dot icing is the slightest bit thicker they will sink! I had that happen to me. A lot of people liked the effect, but it was an accident. icon_redface.gif

I am pretty sure there is a picture of it in my gallery. It's a white onesie with a pink bow and pink dots.

EatCakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatCakes21 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 10

Linedancer - love your cookies, I wish you'd post others in the Gallery!

linedancer Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 10

Hi everyone, I too have been having a difficult time getting on to CC.

Joeskitty - thanks for your kind words, it really is not too complicated. I will pm you with some more info

EatCakes21 - thank you too, I have quite a few cookie pictures, but have been so busy. I tried a little earlier to upload a couple of pictures to the gallery, but the system is not stable enough. As soon as it becomes a little more stable I will upload as many as I can.

Again, thanks to everyone for your intrest

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%