A Cake This Saturday... A Couple Questions

Decorating By christy06 Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 11:32am by Starkie

christy06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christy06 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 5:41am
post #1 of 4

Still some what new to all this...

The client wants a cream cheese frosting filling... i am hoping to cover the cake on thursday in fondant. Is it ok to put the cake in the fridge once its covered? Or do i even need to keep it cold because of the cream cheese frosting?

Also, If i want to paint on the fondant.. can i just thin my gel colors with vodka? Or do i use dusts? Or is there some special paint i should use??

Thanks!
Christy

3 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 11:16am
post #2 of 4

I'm not sure about the fondant, since I don't have much experience using it.

However - the cream cheese frosting does require refrigeration.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 11:26am
post #3 of 4

Yes, you will need to refrigerate cream cheese filling. If you mix your luster dust with vodka, they work terrific for painting, but gels will work as well. The difference is that the gels stay "gummy" for awhile, especially when refrigerated and then taken out of the fridge. The fondant will sometimes get a little condensation...don't touch it and it will reabsorb.

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 11:32am
post #4 of 4

Christy, I never put my fondant covered cakes in the fridge. I heard that they will sweat, and if you are painting on the fondant, that would not be good! But I personally don't have any experience with that ~ maybe someone else does?

You can used gel colors to pain on the fondant, and you really don't have to water them down, either. Check out my "Scream" cake in my gallery ~ I did that all with colored piping gel, no watering down at all. (I purposely "globbed" some of the gel on to get the look I wanted.) You can also thin out some color paste and paint with those. You can also color some royal icing and use that. Really, I think it depends on what "medium" you want to use ~ some mix up like watercolors, some like oil paints, and so on. HTH!

<S>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%