Flavoring Fondant And "other Flavors" Of White Cak

Decorating By imartsy Updated 3 Apr 2008 , 12:49am by imartsy

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:59am
post #1 of 14

So I've been asked if there are other flavors of "white" cake - funny question, huh? I'm thinking there's vanilla, and that almond or hazelnut could be added to a cake to make it taste different but still look white.... anyone have any other ideas? It's such a funny request!

Secondly, I've been asked if I could flavor fondant. I'm sure that can be done... but I usually use the Satin Ice fondant which is already flavored vanilla.... could I add some strawberry lorann oil to it or do you think that would make it taste awful? I know it will turn it pink, and that's okay - I just don't want it to taste bad and I don't want it to be really sticky as I'm trying to work with it (I figure I'll have to add more powdered sugar).

Any ideas?

13 replies
imartsy Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 11:54am
post #2 of 14

Just thought I'd bump this up this morning since it sat overnight with no replies.... hope that's ok!

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 14

I add almond extract all the time to my white cakes. Only about 1/2-3/4 tsp. What about adding a liqueur. Have you ever tried a WASC? It's great!

Can't be much help on the fondant b/c I only do BC or RBC.

Good luck!!!

imartsy Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 11:29am
post #4 of 14

Hmm I don't think I can add liqueur - it is for a 1 year old's birthday! LOL! But I did mention almond to her I think....

Anyone else know about flavoring fondant?

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 14

I add coconut to my white cake, and it of course stays white (but I don't know if a one-year-old would like that). I also do a white rum cake -- but, hmmmm..not for the baby! icon_confused.gif

Sometimes when I make MMF, and add about 4 oz. of softened white chocolate to it. I don't know if that could be done with your product. Perhaps try kneading in a small portion. Sorry I could not be more helpful.

imartsy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:38am
post #6 of 14

I know the site's been up and down a lot, so I thought I'd ask again if anyone knows about flavoring Satin Ice fondant.

imartsy Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 14

The site has been up and down, so forgive me, but I'd really like an answer to this question, so I'm bumping it again.

Polish_princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polish_princess Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:33pm
post #8 of 14

Have you tried the favour oils, i don't think they will change the coulr that much and they have intense taste?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 14

I've added white chocolate to my mmf and raspberry extract as well. I've done strawberry mmf too (makes it pink though) also for white cakes...I offer white chocolate, white choc. raspberry, white caramel (van./caramel coffee creamer) and white pralines and cream(again, coffee creamer) with the coffee creamers they're almost all white....go grab a few flavors and have fun....I haven't used ANY that weren't good....they even have a blueberry cobbler one (sounds interesting) don't know if it's white though. So far all the ones I've tried haven't changed my white batter at ALL!!!!

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:52pm
post #10 of 14

I second the suggestion for using coffee creamer to flavor a white cake. It's awesome! I use 1/4 cup of vanilla caramel liquid creamer in place of some of the water in a white cake and it is so yummy! Some of the less intense flavors like hazelnut I would use the creamer in place of all the liquid otherwise you can't really taste it.
You can flavor any premade fondant with flavoring oils or extracts it just takes a lot of kneading and you do have to add powdered sugar to keep it from sticking all over your hands.
HTH,
HeatherMari

imartsy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:00am
post #11 of 14

but flavoring the pre-made fondant with strawberry won't taste weird since it already has some vanilla flavoring? (Satin ice)

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:12am
post #12 of 14

I wouldn't think that mixing the strawberry flavoring would make it tast funny...I think it would taste like a strawberries & cream!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:33am
post #13 of 14

I like to use lemon yogurt and lemon pudding mix in white cake for just a hint of citrus. It's great with raspberry.

I just found International Delight Amond Vanilla Parfait that I want to try in my next white cake. I love the WASC recipe.

imartsy Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 12:49am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenm0712

I wouldn't think that mixing the strawberry flavoring would make it tast funny...I think it would taste like a strawberries & cream!

Ooh that does sound yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%