I Amhaving So Much Trouble With Cake Central

Decorating By conchita Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 6:01pm by leily

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:52pm
post #31 of 56

I downloaded Mozilla Firefox and started using that instead of IE just for CC. NO MORE CLICKING SOUNDS!!! And the pages load a lot faster. Don't know why there is such a difference, but it's much better!! (Someone posted about doing this, but I don't remember who or the thread..sorry ) icon_redface.gif There is a HUGE speed difference when looking through the gallery too! JUST FYI thumbs_up.gif

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:55pm
post #32 of 56

The best time for me to log on is at night from home so I can relax and it's nearly impossible.

I've been spending way too much time on here during the day lately and I need to get things done. lol

My bad.

But, if it comes down to being frustrated at night not being able to get on or neglecting my business.

Weeeelll, then I guess I won't be around as much. I need to bake massive amounts of cupcakes and I need to do it now, lol

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:12pm
post #33 of 56

Mozilla is better for virus reasons as well. We also get a lot less pop up adds with Mozilla than explorer. It much less frustrating!
Jen...

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:19pm
post #34 of 56

I hate to say this cause I LOVE CAKE CENTRAL but are there any other cake sites out there for when we can't get into Cake Central. I needed a icing recipe this weekend & couldn't get in. icon_redface.gif

Mattie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mattie1 Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:31pm
post #35 of 56

I have tried firefox and still nothing. I'm just being patient that they will work things out. I love CC.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:48pm
post #36 of 56

If you find one, let me know. I didn't like b a k i n g 9 1 1. I was close to paying a premium membership over there yesterday, but I just can't bring myself to it. I hate the layout over there (too cluttered/too messy/so not layed out in an organized fashion) and feel too loyal to CC (even tho I'm so new here). If anything, I would rather CC charge for membership and me pay them so they can have the money to support the website and keep it up and running without interruptions. However, I can't bring myself to paying for something that is always down. That's one of the reasons why I am so hesitant in donating. I see all these people who have donated, yet the downtime doesn't seem to have been diminished.

I pay a premium membership at Recipezaar and love it. For premium membership, one of the things I love is you don't see all the annoying ads and pop-ups. They are rarely down and I love their site. I've been with them for 6 or 7 years and don't recall any interruptions. I love CC just as much, but the downtime is really getting to be annoying....did I say I'm addicted icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif . Maybe CC can have a free site for those who don't want "perks" like no adds, bigger pictures, etc. and people who want no ads, etc. can pay a yearly premium. I know I'd be the first to sign up providing the downtime was minimal.

Anyway, just wanted to vent. I love this site and will keep coming back, but I need something while the site is down, which seems more and more lately.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 3:57pm
post #37 of 56

Trixy,
I was just thnking the same thing. A premium site for those of us willing to pay for better service and no ads. I'm in!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 4:01pm
post #38 of 56

I have firefox...still get the clicking and still can't get on after noon, or all night.

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 4:11pm
post #39 of 56

Would it make a difference to everything if we paid. I am a bit daft when it comes to computers and i thought it was the amount of people and information on this site that had made it slow icon_redface.gif . No really, you can stop laughing now lol icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 10:42am
post #40 of 56

If even 1/2 of the people who frequent this site had to pay a membership fee Heath and Jackie could afford MUCH better servers and hosting options. It's all in your technology.

I think having a free forum to discuss basics and then the rest of it (especially the business aspects of cake decorating) be available if you pay would be a great idea. Or offer a 30 day free trial to new members and then you can decide if CC is something you want to invest in. That way the site will more than pay for itself. Honestly.. one could stand to make a sweet profit from a site like this and it would be greatly improved.

But they have made it clear that they don't want CC to be a pay site. I think it's grown too big for it's free britches though. Just my 2 cents.

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 1 Apr 2008 , 11:15am
post #41 of 56

I agree with the above poster! I asked a question yesterday and tried all day to get on and couldn't, very frustrating, which I know has to be frustrating to the owners as well.

I think its time to take away the free and put on some sort of membership.

Keep the advertisements of course like Cake Boss, Global Sugar Art and such, but let members pay to get on this site. Then we can get better servers (lol, I guess, because I know nothing of the behind the scenes kind of thing).

I have learned to much on this message board and really look forward to coming to it everyday....I miss it when its not available!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:17am
post #42 of 56

Has any one heard from Jackie or Heath? Are they ok? I am sure they are aware of what's going on and are working on fixing it. I hope all is ok with them.

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:20am
post #43 of 56

I have been wondering the same about Jackie and Heath, hope everything is ok with them. Has anyone heard anything from them at all?

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:43am
post #44 of 56

I'll admit as well that this is very stressful sometimes. Mornings are the only time I can get in here and then it only lasts for a short time. I end up printing everything I need because I have no idea when I'll be able to get back in here again. Hopefully the kinks will get worked out soon!

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:53am
post #45 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendraanne

The worst is when the page keeps refreshing/reloading

THANK YOU for noticing this!!! This is IMO a design flaw. It's a bandwidth eater and I'm not sure why the site is designed this way. I'd be surprised if these guys actually pay for their web hosting, 1) because it's crazy whack so there has to be a good incentive to stay with current web host and 2) because when you have as many visitors as this site does a simple agreement to display a small ad or 2 at the bottom of the page will get you free hosting. If they ARE paying for this web hosting I hope they read this and shop around icon_eek.gif

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:04pm
post #46 of 56

I needed an icing recipe yesterday and couldn't get in. I was so annoyed. Half of the time, I can't look at pictures b/c it takes forever for them to load. They never end up loading and just time out. I have high speed so it isn't my computer.

PLEASE PLEASE, I rely on cake central so much and I would love for this to be a paying site. Charge everyone to be a member. I am more than willing to pay some money so that I can use this site without any problems.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:55pm
post #47 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltoKel

PLEASE PLEASE, I rely on cake central so much and I would love for this to be a paying site. Charge everyone to be a member. I am more than willing to pay some money so that I can use this site without any problems.

You can't throw money at something that is broken, hoping that the money will fix it.

Look at the thousands of dollars that have already been donated to the site owners in the last year. They upgraded the server a month ago and the site is the worst it has EVER been.

Unless they are willing to pay professionals to get this site running with 99.9% uptime, no constantly-refreshing ads, and no glitches, my money is staying in my bank.

This is ridiculous.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:25pm
post #48 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeltoKel

You can't throw money at something that is broken, hoping that the money will fix it.

Look at the thousands of dollars that have already been donated to the site owners in the last year. They upgraded the server a month ago and the site is the worst it has EVER been.

Unless they are willing to pay professionals to get this site running with 99.9% uptime, no constantly-refreshing ads, and no glitches, my money is staying in my bank.

This is ridiculous.

I don't mean to sound mean or anything, but I agree...the ads on this site actually cause my computer to go nuts...(I am using a spyware program that does NOT like the ads on here at all..it freaks out half the time I am on here) I won't even donate at this point, because the web site is up more then down, the searching doesnt work half the time and I have to reboot my computer after every visit.

I love this site, but perhaps they have made it too big and its time to maybe simplify it more?

KeltoKel Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 1:00pm
post #49 of 56

My point is if they charged for the site, then yes, they could pay professionals to manage the site full-time. All the banners, sponsors, etc. slow the site down. They would not need all of extras on this site if they had more money to run the site. And you are incorrect, more money would mean more servers and better quality servers, better operating systems, etc. So yes, "throwing" more money would and could fix many problems.

In any shape or form, I love cake central.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:54pm
post #50 of 56

Ok, the last couple post make me a little upset. Yes we're all frustrated, but it happens.

But to say they need to "pay professionals" hasn't anyone been reading what Jackie and Heath say? They ARE professionals, this is what they do as their careers. They have been paying for servers and the people running them are professionals also and are working on the problem too!!

We live in a world where everyone wants it now now now and expect everything to be fixed right now. There are some things that take awhile to be fixed. Oh and it is hard to fix something when you don't know what the problems is, which is what they have been trying to figure out, what is causing all the problems. They have already stated multiple times on multiple threads that they have fixed one thing thinking it would fix it but them something else goes wrong... it happens it is a part of life, it even happens w/your car.

Now before anyone starts going off on me, I am not directing this at anyone inparticular I just want to make sure those that think this site needs to be run by "Professionals" should know it already is being run by professionals.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:02pm
post #51 of 56

In case you missed it, dragonflydreams posted Heath's response to all the site problems here: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-581182.html
As you can see, it's not a money problem, it's not a need for better servers problem, and it's not an only-two-people-doing-this-in-their-spare-time problem. Crap happens with websites, and it just needs time to be sorted out.

Like the note at the top of the page says, hang in there!

KeltoKel Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:53am
post #52 of 56

Leily, I did not mean AT ALL that they are not professionals. But from what I do know, they do have other full time jobs that doesn't allow them to devote day and night to cakecentral. So, they could hire a STAFF (i.e. a technician) to manage the site. My post was in no way meant to demean their positions as IT professionals, but to suggest a full-time technician.

There is a big difference between programming and building a web site, and performing technical maintenance on a web site - two totally opposite fields. So while Jackie and Heath built a great web site using code and programming languages, the server crashes and other problems are a totally different area of computers that requires "technicians." I like to compare it to us knowing how to bake a cake in an oven, but not knowing how to fix the oven if it should break! This is coming from an IBM employee! icon_wink.gif

In any case, I love cake central and will continue to support it.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:29pm
post #53 of 56

Leily, Lanibird...the posts made before you were posted before Heath's post to CC about what was going on. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:23am
post #54 of 56

If you read Heath's response you'll see that they do have other professional working on the issues. But unfortunately it seems they aren't doing it fast enough to suit some people. I can't believe anyone would make demands of a service that is being provided for free. I've read so many threads of decorators complaing of being taken advantage of for free cakes by family and friends yet they expect the same thing from complete stranges for a web site. Shaking my head and getting down off my soap box. Now you can start throwing stones at me.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:50am
post #55 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Leily, Lanibird...the posts made before you were posted before Heath's post to CC about what was going on. icon_smile.gif

Thanks. icon_smile.gif I actually posted it in response to KeltoKel's Sunday morning post, after Heath's announcement. Noticed the rejuvinated thread, figured some people might have missed the full announcement, and thought it might be good idea to get that info out. thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 6:01pm
post #56 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Thank you for pointing that out, I did not notice that there had been 3 days since those post.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%