Commercial Refridgerator And Fondant/gumpaste....

Decorating By feverfixer Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm by beachcakes

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 3

I just made a wedding cake that was four tier and had to be transported approx 8 hours away. When we got to our apartment, the fridge was too small for it. The wedding was not for about 10 hours, so we dropped the cake off at the reception site to be refridgerated.
I have always refridgerated my fondant and gumpaste cakes with no problem, well I just found out a commercial fridge is A LOT colder and I started to have problems the minute the cake came out!
I had made loops of gumpaste to hang jewels on on the 2nd tier and airbrushed them gold. As the cake warmed up, the gumpaste started to droop, particularly the three loops in the front. The gold airbrush color became sticky and came off if you touched it at all! I was trying to get the jewels on without rubbing all the color off! Luckily I had already applied some luster dust, because there was no way I could have applied it when it was in this state without getting a big gloopy mess. Also, thankfully I had spare loops to replace the droopiest and I managed to make it thru the reception without having any fall off.
I think I now have to definitive answer as to whether or not to refridgerate fondant...
Yes at home, but never in a commercial fridge!!!
Diane

2 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 5:24am
post #2 of 3

hmmm, i refrigerate fondant iced cakes in a commercial walk in cooler all the time without a problem. i've never done gumpaste though, so i don't know about that.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 3

Oh no! Sorry to hear this! What brand of fondant was it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%