Pirate Ship Question W/ Diagram

Decorating By andpotts Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 4:20am by andpotts

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 8:06am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a large stacked carved pirate ship. I was thinking I would make three 9x13's the first 2 stacked to form the base and the last cut into 3 pieces to form the raised deck levels at the front and back. My question is do I need to use dowels and boards in between, or is that just for bigger cakes (I am frosting in buttercream)? Also how would you put this together, freeze, then stack and shape? Do I put buttercream between each layer? Can you tell this is my first 3-D icon_smile.gif Thank you for any help you can give me!
LL
LL

3 replies
wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 11:32am
post #2 of 4

Very nice diagram. On the two that I made (in my photos) I used cardboard on the pieces that set on top. I also put in some dowels to support the load where the larger piece sits. Then finally doweled through all for the final support. Buttercream acts like mortar to hold the cake layers together and crumb coating helps to seal it. I froze my cake after baking but let it defrost overnight before cutting and carving. One cake was chocolate, the other vanilla. I would use a sturdy cake with a pound cake consistency. Hope this helps. Pam from Bama

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with the above doweling procedure as well, but also have to say what a great diagram your ship is!!

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 4:20am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help and the compliments on the diagram (sorry don't know why it posted twice), it was just easier to wrap my head around when I put it together that way, someone else here mentioned using MS Publisher and it was a great tip! I just love this place, I've gotten so much inspiration and info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%