Cake Crash

Decorating By misterc Updated 4 Apr 2008 , 2:06am by cakebaker1957

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 8

I feel terrible. I delivered a cake back in January. The customer just loved it and had wonderful things to say, she even called the next day to tell me thank you again. Well, it turns out the cake crashed in the middle of the party! She wasn't going to tell me! I feel terrible about it. When I found out I called to apologize and to offer her a refund and she refused. Should I just drop the issue or should I send a refund check in the mail anyway? I can't believe this happened. It was fine when I dropped it off and I was so careful when I constructed it. I just can't believe my cake fell! icon_sad.gif Here is a pic of the before. I don't have an after picture, I wonder if she does.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1187985

7 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 8

Since you're just now hearing about it, I would leave it at the apology you already gave her.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 8

If she says its fine then I wouldnt worry about it. You offered and she refused. Obviously if she felt it was your fault then she would of been on the phone with you first thing either cursing you out or demanding a refund. Besides, it could of been a guest that hit the table or something causing the crash.
But if you absolutely want to do something maybe give her a 10% refund.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 8

I think it would depend on why the cake fell...if someone bumped into it or something like that.

Obviously she was pleased with your work, if she called to thank you again the day after and never mentioned the cake falling. Maybe you should offer her a discount on her next cake.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 8

. . . what a shame . . . and what a classy lady your client is . . . but I think it would be equally as classy if you offered her some kind of compensation (to let her know you value her business) - perhaps a thank you note and a coupon for 25% off her next purchase. . . did she tell you what actually happened, maybe it had nothing to do with your cake . . . maybe it was "outside" influences that caused it to fall???

WendyLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyLaLa Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 7:50am
post #6 of 8

First off great cake!!!!! Sometimes these things happen, you never know why. Could be humidity or someone crashed into the cake. But hey she was nice about it!!! That is rare. Give her a really great deal on her next cake!!!!! You do amazing work, you should be very proud!!!
LaLa

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 8

She didn't say why it fell. I asked but she said I shouldn't worry about it. I guess I won't worry about it for now but I am going to offer her a discount on her next cake order. I couldn't ask for a kinder client. I still feel terrible about it though!

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #8 of 8

If you know her mailing address you could mail her a percentage off coupon on her next cake Other than that i wouldnt say anything

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%