How Do I Color Fondant/ Gumpaste

Decorating By Onome Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 7:17pm by awolf24

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 4

How do I color fondant/ Gumpaste and get very vivid colors like Red or hot pink?

3 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 4

I use a trick Nic Lodge taught us. For say a 1 lb. amount of white fondant, pinch off a piece and make a ball about the size of a ping pong ball. Color that piece 2 shades brighter than you want the finished color to be. I use paste color but you can use gel as well. Then knead the colored ball into the white fondant. If I am kneading a large amount of fondant I put it in my KitchenAid bowl with the dough hook and let it do most of the kneading, then I finish up kneading by hand till it is pliable and the color is completely blended.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 4

Yes Shirley ^^^ is righticon_smile.gif I always forget thoughicon_sad.gif So I just knead in lots of gel color OR airbrush the finished cake.

To keep from getting color all over your hands, wear plastic glaves OR put fondant into plastic bag OR coat your hands in Crisco.
Once the majority of the color is kneaded in you can take the gloves off/out of the bag.
If you get color on your hands........:
DO NOT let any water touch them! Spray/wash with amonia. An easy way to do that w/o knocking yourself out from fumes is to spray them w/Windexicon_smile.gif
Cold water will set color; HOT water will dissolve it so any water that touches your skin (or clothes) should be as HOT as possible - even after it has been treated w/amonia.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:17pm
post #4 of 4

I find that when I use my hands to knead, it works great to coat them with a little Crisco (just like kakeladi mentioned) - doesn't affect the fondant if you use a small amount and the color doesn't come off on your hands at all. I like that method better than using gloves or kneading in a bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%