Cakes With Egg Yolks Only, What Will Happen?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 5 May 2014 , 11:32am by mstrqltr01

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 16

I have discovered a fantastic recipe that requires egg whites only. I really don't wanna waste the egg yolks, do you guys have any recipes I could use them with?

what would happen if instead of putting whole eggs in a recipe, I just use egg yolks? or a combo of egg yolks and whole eggs? how would I convert the measurements?

TIA! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 16

You can certainly use a combo of whites & whole or yolks & whole with the usual results.
Using only yolks probably would give you a dense, heavier than usual cake. It might not rise like 'normal'.

If you google 'egg yolk recipes' you'll find a ton.
I used to have a recipe for 13 yolk cookies but don't know where it is now.
Lots of people feed them to their pets.
One lady posted some whole big thing about what the cost of an egg yolk is - ending w/how she 'feeds them to the garbage can' so she is out something like 1/4 cent wasted.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 9:19am
post #3 of 16

The following thread has egg yolk sponge cake , as well as sugar cookie recipes, and so much more:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-322663-.html

HTH

kelleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleygirl Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 9:47am
post #4 of 16

Because I'm always using my egg whites to make IMBC, I buy the egg whites in the carton and use them with the egg yolks for the cakes. You can try that.

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 16

I've made Martha's yellow cake wich calls for egg yolks only. You can also freeze yolks or whites in ice cube trays. That way you know exactally how many you have (one in each little square)

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 16

thanks everyone! i actually just used them in a cake recipe and it turned out really good icon_smile.gif

thanks JanH for those links. i might try the sugar cookies icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 16

<...You can also freeze yolks or whites...>

Fzing yolks makes them 'hard boiled' icon_sad.gif They are not usable unless you can grate them.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:00pm
post #8 of 16

theres lots of things you can make with yolks

my favorites are creme patisserie and 'pasta frolla' which is an italian pastry dough that is delicious for pies or even just to make cookies with
if u want the recipes let me know

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 16

Auryn i would love it if you shared the recipes icon_smile.gif thanks!

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 16

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Davids-Yellow-Cake/Detail.aspx
David's yellow cake is my favorite way to use up extra egg yolks.

If you decide to freeze them you need to decide if you're going to use them in sweet or savory recipes and then add salt or sugar to them. Here's a site that will give you the measurments you need. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/FreezingEgg.htm

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 5:17am
post #11 of 16

Oh man, there were two great threads from November with tons of great recipes and ideas about egg yolks, including a lot of non-cake options (like bread pudding)...of course they were lost in the crash.

Anyway so another idea is to make a curd for filling (or just to eat!)...lemon or whatever other fruit flavor. Or a custard...mmm.

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 5:33am
post #12 of 16

OK I am confused. I thought you could use yolks or whites after you freeze them. I have some yolks in the freezer after doing my wasc cake. Can't I thaw them and use in a custard or something. I don't know what "hard boiled" means. please enlighten me. thanks

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 5:46am
post #13 of 16

The link SuHwa provided kind of explains what happens to yolks if you freeze them - I've never tried it but I've read they don't stay smooth and runny unless you mix them with a stabilizing ingredient, the texture changes and they become somewhat solid (again, from what I've read)..thus the need to "grate" them in order to use them in recipes. Egg whites freeze fine though.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 5:53am
post #14 of 16

i actually froze 3 egg yolks, put in a bit of sugar and beat them slightly first. i let them come to room temp and used them icon_smile.gif they worked fine

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 6:18am
post #15 of 16

You can make pastry cream with egg yolks, or a custard.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mstrqltr01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mstrqltr01 Posted 5 May 2014 , 11:32am
post #16 of 16

I make an Angel Food Cake, which calls for 12 egg whites and like you, I don't want to throw away the egg yolks so I make a Sponge cake also.  Both of these are good with whipped cream and strawberries..or not.  :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%