Help Making An "open Box" Cake

Decorating By fabiolacamacho Updated 9 Apr 2008 , 3:44am by fabiolacamacho

fabiolacamacho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabiolacamacho Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 11

My daughter is making her first communion and really wants a cake that has the half open gift box on the bottom layer with a topsy tuvy layer in the middle and a pillow cake on top. If that makes any sense!...I have researched on the pillow cake and will be doing a trial run on that this weekend. I have tried researching on the bottom layer, the open box although I have had no luck in finding information that might help. I am especially clueless on how I would keep the top open, would I use dowels? Please help..... icon_sad.gif ...I will keep looking and post it, that way it gives you a visual....

Fabi

10 replies
marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 11

I did a stacked open box eiffel tower cake. I used a styrofoam wedge and the lid was also styrofoam. I will try to find the thread for it and you can see the drawing for it.

marthajo1 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 11

Found it. at the bottom of the first page is a drawing Doug did to show the support. But instead of the 2nd hat box you could do you topsy tier to bring it up to level for the pillow cake. (so the pillow would be level like my tower was.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-422383-eiffel.html+tower

fabiolacamacho Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 11

Hi Marthajo1,

Thank you so much for this I have spent the last hour reading all the post. It does help a ton. Question so does the cake not slide off the board? I know that was a concern from alot of people that posted to that forum. That is the one thing (out of many icon_biggrin.gif ) that makes me nervous. I tried the pillow this weekend and I wanted perfection ....of course that did not happen..I forgot to shape the edges of the pillow so it looked more squared then I would have liked..then the bow kept cracking on me..I re-did it twice. I thought maybe the fondant I used was to old (I bought it like in november-pettinice). I will post a picture of it when I get home tonight ...again thanks soooooooo much for your help...you rock thumbs_up.gif

fabiolacamacho Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 11

Hi Martha,

I just took a look at your site..I lvoe your cakes they are awsome congrats....your topsy turvy with the eiffel tower was great..that was what I had in mind but with the pillow....have you made a pillow before? Any tips...I have found lots of pictures and I am yet to understand how they cover teh pillow all the way around....like underneath it as well...when I tried that it kept cracking and breaking....was my fondant not flexible enough?..let me see if I can find a pic. of an example....I think you had showed this pic before and this is what my daughters vision was..and I LOVE the pillow (I dream of creating one like that).....not sure who did it but koodos.......
LL

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 3 Apr 2008 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 11

This is by adven68

fabiolacamacho Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 4:11am
post #7 of 11

Thanks Beachcakes.....it is a beautiful one!

Martha here is the picture of my pillow...it was my practice...I really would like to know how to cover the bottom of it as well and it look like adven68's.....without my fondant cracking or breaking off.. icon_cry.gif ...anyone help....
LL

fabiolacamacho Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 11

Hello all CC'rs...I really need help with my pillow...does any one have any suggestions...do I cover the top then cover the cottom and add a rope border? icon_cry.gif ....

marthajo1 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 11

I have no idea how to do a pillow... I have never done one..... Sorry.

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 11

there is step by step instructions with pictures in the article section. I used that when i made my pillow cake and found it very easy and helpful!

fabiolacamacho Posted 9 Apr 2008 , 3:44am
post #11 of 11

Thanks Aleesha, that is actually the step by step instructions I followed, although when the fondant drapes over the edge and I try to wrap it around the bottom it crinkles and breaks. I am lost on how they cover the entire pillow with one roll out of fondant.....thanks for the tip though hopefully someone who has made one can help.... icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%