The Price Of Chocolate!

Decorating By TheButterWench Updated 31 Mar 2008 , 2:55am by indydebi

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 7

I was just online to check on the prices of molding chocolate as I need a larger amount for a donation and I was shocked to see that a 25 pound bag is now selling for $75.00 dollars!

That's $3.00 a pound!

I noticed that I was paying more for my chocolate but since I only use them for one item at a time I buy as I need it, but now that I need to use it for a donated Item I was trying to be cost effective.

I have also been marking my molds as I make an item with how many ounces it takes to make one so I can quickly eyeball my mold and give a price.

If I don't need the item, I just break it up and put back into the chocolate bag.

What an eye opener. Even with shipping it's not going to be cheaper than just picking up what I need.

icon_cry.gif

6 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 7

What brand of chocolate do you get? And where do you get it in such large quantities? I get Merkens at my local cake store and it's more than that. I don't use much, except for Christmas.

TheButterWench Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 7:30am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

What brand of chocolate do you get? And where do you get it in such large quantities? I get Merkens at my local cake store and it's more than that. I don't use much, except for Christmas.

I don't rightly remember I was looking for a particular mold and when I found it I just hit the home button to look at their prices for the chocolate as I was going to just order it at the same time and just couldn't believe the price and then calculated that with shipping it was no bargain.

I'm going to have to talk to my supplier and see if they have it cheaper.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:33am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydukes

I use merkens for my chocolate fountains and it's at about $90 for a 25 lb box.

TheButterWench Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 7

Ouch, 90 for 25? I guess they had to raise the prices as Cocoa grows in the rain forests and they are getting smaller and smaller. Lol

I just got a sample of some DIABETIC FRIENDLY chocolate at Costco.

It's not sugar free, just sugar light ( I thought I had the number for the guy but I lost his card)

They were at the chocolate conference and Costco snapped them up before they went Nationwide so now only Costco has them.

It wasn't half bad and it comes in flavors also.

the initial taste is chocolaty ( I had the orange chocolate that's my absolute fave) but I did notice that as I was walking out of Costco I was having "bitter mouth". I don't know if it was because it was the Dark Orange chocolate that I had.

but it was yummy at first, lol

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 7

Sam's Club has their Ghirardelli dipping chocolate on clearance IF you can find some left. Good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 2:55am
post #7 of 7

orange chocolate! ahhhhhhhh! (wiping slobber from her face!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%