How To Cupcake Cake

Decorating By jylbug Updated 2 Apr 2008 , 1:06pm by foxymomma521

jylbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jylbug Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 11

How do I make cupcake cakes and get them this smooth? Is it a FBCT or is it just frosted? If it's just frosted wouldn't you get a ton of frosting down in between each cupcake? While frosting wouldn't the cupcakes just move? Please help.
LL

10 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 11

There is a book out by the gal who does sooooo many wonderful creations this way - Brenda -- oooohhhhhhhh shoot, now I can't remembericon_sad.gif
I'll go look it up.
Of course, I can't find much - but I remember I think her last name is Hoyle.
MBN had a write up on her/her book some years back.
HTH

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 11

two sites that will help:

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/message/saved/cupcakes.html

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/105830324epGFhn

to keep from moving....just put a dot of icing under each cupcake.

hint: use the big icing tip to lay down the first layer of icing on the cupcakes.

smoothing top: just like smoothing any cake top -- use the method (melivra's, hot spatula, etc.) that works best for you.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 11

They are a lot of fun - Doug has given some great links and tips. Try it - the frosting really does not fall between and people love them.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 11

They're easy and fun. Get the shape you want by pushing your cupcakes against each (just tight enough so that there aren't big gaps) then pipe a dab of icing under all the ones on the outside, pressing each onto the board enough to spread the icing spots and make it stable. Then using your big icing tip outline your shape first, then pipe back and forth over the rest. Smooth the icing with a small spatula being careful to cover but not pressing the icing down into any gaps. Smooth with a larger spatula then use a viva to finish the surface.

Have fun!

jylbug Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you everyone. That is exactly what I was looking for. Isn't this sight wonderful.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Smooth the icing with a small spatula being careful to cover but not pressing the icing down into any gaps.

i beg to differ!

that extra icing in the gaps is a very pleasant BONUS! especially if it's chocolate--- (ok...been eating toooooooooo mmmmmmuuuuuucccchhhh sugar!)

CarolAnn Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 11

Okaaaay, I guess I'd better rephrase that, for Doug!! Spread icing with small spatula being careful not to shove all the icing into whatever gaps there are between the cupcakes. LOL

Last year I made a princess cupcake cake for my grand daughters school b-day party. I made JUST enough icing (never a good idea for me) and about freaked when it kept falling into a couple of holes. I ended up making another quick batch for peace of mind about the border. You gotta watch those gaps! I always want plenty of icing too Doug! And I just discovered whipped ganache. Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jylbug Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:18pm
post #9 of 11

What is whipped ganache? Can I have the recipe.

CarolAnn Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 12:38pm
post #10 of 11

Heat 8 oz of heavy cream in sauce pan, just to a boil, then pour over 12 oz of semi sweet choc chips or chunked up chocolate squares (sweetened is best for me), cover and let sit 5 min, then stir gently to blend. Gentle stirring aviods ari in ganache. Add 1 tsp or so vanilla or flavoring once blended. I've used mexican vanilla and cherry sherry, both very yummy.

For whipped ganache refrigerate ganache and then whip. Wonderful piped on cupcakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially deep chocolate ones. Almost sinfully delish!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:06pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for posting this icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%