Mousse Fillings For Wedding Cakes

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 5 Feb 2007 , 10:36pm by knoxcop1

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Jan 2007 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 34

I would like to know how y'all do mousse fillings for wedding cakes. The only recipes I have require refrigeration. Wedding cakes have to sit out for HOURS, and I just don't see how it is done. Is there a special recipe somewhere? Also, how do you put a berries and strawberries on a cake...don't they start to run after a while?

Speaking of fillings, do you guys torte your cakes with three layers? (bake 3 inch cakes and torte three ways?) Is that strong enough for a wedding cake?
(especailly the bottom tier)

33 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 4:01am
post #2 of 34

I have used various fillings in wedding cakes and I refrigerate until I deliver it. I have been the one to cut most of them, and the frosting seems to insulate them, because the filling is still fine even 5-6 hours later. I use alot of fillings that need refrigeration. I usually just make 2 layers torted to give me 4 layers of cake, and three layers of filling.

loriemoms Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 34

Thanks for your help. Unforntantly, I don't have enough room to refrigerate all my cakes, especailly on a busy weekend where I several weddings to do. I assume the refrideration also keeps the layers from slipping?

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 34

What I do if it's going to be sitting for hours is use Cool Whip and then whatever bagged filling there is available, folded together.

You can also use those pudding paks folded with Cool Whip for fillings too.

Technically---it's not a "true" mousse. But it tastes really good and there's no danger from sitting outside of refrigeration! thumbs_up.gif

One of the most popular fillings I have is Cool Whip, Bavarian from the bag, and white chocolate chips I've pulsed into small grains in the food processor.

--Knox--

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 34

Can cool whip sit that long without weeping? My cool whip always starts to get runny shortly after going to room temperature. How do you handle it?
Thanks

loriemoms Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:24pm
post #6 of 34

I was wondering the same thing...can you keep coolwhip out?

I use the bagged raspberry fillings and such...never thought if they have choco mousse?

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 34

What about trying the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe on this site? I've used it lots of times and it has a very light texture. It's not a true mousse, but it doesn't need refridgeration, it's simple to make and it tastes good. I had a bride who wanted a mousse filling recently but her wedding was outdoors so she went with a Chocolate WCBC instead and loved it. I just add cocoa powder to the original recipe but you could probably use melted chocolate, too. HTH!

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 34

I think they do make a chocolate filling in a bag. I have not used it yet. I am lucky enough to have 2 refrigerators in my basement, just dedicated to holding cakes. I hope you find an answer. icon_biggrin.gif

knoxcop1 Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 34

You could also do a mousse by using pasteurized egg whites and doing it that way with either flavored fillings or puddings.

I didn't ever know that Cool Whip got runny. Hmmmm....Now I'm going to be on the "lookout." Must have something to do with the pudding or whatever stabilizing it.

detective.gifdetective.gifdetective.gif

--Knox--

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 9 Jan 2007 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 34

Fresh strawberries have to be put on last or they will run. I learned that the hard way! Not sure how you would do that for a wedding cake. Hmmm...

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:05am
post #11 of 34

butternut contacted Kraft Foods about Cool Whip - here's the thread that has the response:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-34791-.html

HTH

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:42am
post #12 of 34

You can also use something like Pastry Pride or Rich's Bettercreame for a mousse-type filling. I buy the liquid form of Pastry Pride and add a box of pudding mix to it when I whip it up. Tastes great (I like the cheesecake flavor a lot) and it doesn't need refrigeration. I think I'm going to try it with Oreos and make a cookies & cream filling that doesn't need to go in the fridge. I know people also fold in fresh fruit or the pastry bagged filling too.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 4:49am
post #13 of 34

ShirleyW's recipe for faux mousse using Pastry Pride and instant pudding:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2396-0-Bavarian-Cream-Filling.html

HTH

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 8:21am
post #14 of 34

I made a cheesecake mousse ( i got the recipe from this site) and you use Heavy Whipping Cream and instant pudding. It didn't melt at all when sitting out. I loved it because it had a thick consistency almost like you could ice the cake totally with it!

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 11:01am
post #15 of 34

Wow! I was wondering about this too. Thanks to the CCer's that contributed their knowledge to this thread.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 1:27pm
post #16 of 34

I'm working on developing a "fake" lemon mousse with Rich's Bettercreme (a nondairy whipping cream) and that lemon goo that comes in a bag. Will let you know how it works out! icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 1:32pm
post #17 of 34

If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, try using the Bettercream with instant lemon pudding, them whip them together.

deb

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 1:33pm
post #18 of 34

OOOOOHHH -- That has definite possibilities!! Thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:23pm
post #19 of 34

I see so many shops that offer mousse as a filling and I don't see how they do it. I wish I could peek into a few bakeries and see how they do it!

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 6:44pm
post #20 of 34

I need this for a couple of commissions I have coming up where I need to have the cake out all day long at the venue and I really don't want to poison the whole party! icon_confused.gif That's why I'm looking into "fake" mousse fillings using the nondairy Rich's bettercreme. I've heard it's awesome even on it's own. Will keep you posted!! icon_biggrin.gif

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 7:21pm
post #21 of 34

Pastry Pride is what I use when refrigeration is an issue. I don't like the taste of it plain, but if you play around with it you can come up with some really good things. I find most of the sleeve fillings will stiffen the Pastry Pride, so don't whip as firm as you would normally then just fold them in. When making Chocolate Fudge I find my fudge thins out the Pastry Pride so I whip stiff add the fudge and keep whipping. The filling freezes well so I usually make extra and freeze-just thaw in frig and whip a few seconds.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 7:36pm
post #22 of 34

Where do you get Pastry Pride or Rich's Bettercreme?

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 8:28pm
post #23 of 34

I need a good chocolate mousse filling recipe for a cake next weekend, where refrigeration won't be a problem. Anyone have a recipe they can share with me?

Julie icon_smile.gif

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 8:53pm
post #24 of 34

I get Pastry Pride and Rich's Bettercreame at Smart & Final in the freezer section. I think our local cake store carries it too.

Rich's also has a chocolate version that is great for chocolate mousse!

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 10:14pm
post #25 of 34

If refrigeration isn't an issue I usually just make chocolate whipped cream. I use Sharfenberger chocolate melted in some cream, mix into heavy cream and whip.

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 10:16pm
post #26 of 34

That's what I've heard that Rich's Bettercreme whipped up is awesome as a chocolate mousse (which doesn't need refrigeration), but I've never tried it myself.

knoxcop1 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 12:01am
post #27 of 34

I've looked EVERYWHERE for Rich's or Pastry Pride here in TN.

No luck.

Does anyone know if I can order it or whatever? Anyone know of a distributor around my area? Any tips would be appreciated.

--Knox--

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 12:28am
post #28 of 34

Knox, I can't find it in NY either. The only place i've seen it online is sugarcraft.com, but you have to ship overnight and have to be there to sign for it.

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 12:29am
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxcop1

I've looked EVERYWHERE for Rich's or Pastry Pride here in TN.

No luck.

Does anyone know if I can order it or whatever? Anyone know of a distributor around my area? Any tips would be appreciated.

--Knox--

Go to sugarcraft.com and type under the search "Rich's Bettercreme." They have it with instructions on the best way to use it and some troubleshooting info too.

theecakelady47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theecakelady47 Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 12:36am
post #30 of 34

Sometimes local grocery stores, in the bakery department, they will sell you some-might be worth a call...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%