post #1 of 28

I fell in love with this cake by PollyCakes.com

Any thoughts on how to do this?
LL

27 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 28

I couldn't even BEGIN to try to figure that cake out, but it is crazy beautiful! Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 28

A very cool cake! I would guess that the cakes were stacked up without support and carved for the effect and then restacked with supports 'permanently'. But that's my guess. I'm sure someone else would know for sure.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 28

if you look closely....

each tier, like normal is 2 layers of cake....
but....

in each tier -- each layer is twisted as well.

then the tiers are twisted as it rises.

so a double twist -- each layer in each tier and each tier

could probably just use lots of bc, instead of carving, to smooth out the shape

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 28

Looks like you are right on, as usual, Doug. I'm so glad we have you to figure out these puzzles!

Beautiful cake, I can see why someone would want to have one like it.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 28

Oh! Now I see it! Thanks Doug! thumbs_up.gif

Each torte is twisted atop each other to make one tier....

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:17am
post #7 of 28

While CC was down today and I was going through WD symptoms, I started doing Google searches for wedding cakes and one of the sites I came across was this one: http://www.brides.com/brides/cakes.

Take a look at the last cake in the third row. Look familiar? Hey, maybe someone can e-mail Polly Schoonmaker to find out exactly how she did it. We'll see if Doug is right again.

-Grace

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:29am
post #8 of 28

awesome cake!!! but i dont understand the twisting thing?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:39am
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake

awesome cake!!! but i dont understand the twisting thing?

I don't understand your question. Are you saying that you don't understand how it's twisted; or why it's twisted?

Doug Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:49am
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

While CC was down today and I was going through WD symptoms, I started doing Google searches for wedding cakes and one of the sites I came across was this one: http://www.brides.com/brides/cakes.

Take a look at the last cake in the third row. Look familiar? Hey, maybe someone can e-mail Polly Schoonmaker to find out exactly how she did it. We'll see if Doug is right again.

-Grace

went to her site....

she doesn't accept email...phone calls only!

and has a

$2,000 minimum for any cake!!!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 28

heheeh HOW its twisted..

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:12pm
post #12 of 28

this cake looks really complicated!!

my guess (i have never carved a cake in my life) is if you look at the bottom tier, you can see that she "offsets" (if that is the right term) the cutting of the square; i would place a toothpick about 2" from the bottom left and 2" from the top right (more or less if you prefer). and then carve out cake moving from the opposite corner to the toothpick.

dont carve out too much on the sides because you have to do the same thing at the back of the tier

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:39pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

-Grace

Some how I dont think that she's going to be giving up any secrets when this is what is posted on her website! It is in regard to mad hatter, topsy turvy, whimsical cakes... whatever you want to call it.

* The âWhimsy Cakesâ name and Whimsy cake designs are legally protected by registered trademark ® as three-dimensional sculpture. Click here to learn more about your legal obligations under trademark law. See very bottom of page.

All cake designs are protected by copyright, and may not be reproduced without express permission of Polly's Cakes. Please protect artisans and uphold the law . . . buy the original.

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:48pm
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

went to her site....

she doesn't accept email...phone calls only!

and has a

$2,000 minimum for any cake!!!

$2,000 is INSANE! And in Oregon? Manhattan or SF maybe, but seriously?

Doug Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 28

here's my guess as to how.
LL

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 12:06am
post #16 of 28

Doug I think you're right about her stacking technique, but to get the smoothness of the twist of each layer within the tier, I still think something by the corners has to be shaven off a bit, so some carving is involved, at least in my mind's eye.

I like your graphic presentation though. Still don't think you can somehow come up with a wedding cake program?! icon_wink.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 1:50am
post #17 of 28

I think Doug's right about stacking & you're right about having to shave some off b/c it would be a pain in the tush to ice that way & tons of icing. I would hate to ice it shaving off some or not!

$2000. I might if I made that cake! lol

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:19am
post #18 of 28

Doug you rock! That is a cool cake!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 3:56am
post #19 of 28

I think Doug's right on about the rotated layers within each tier, but I'm with Sugar about having to do a little shaving to get the smooth contour on it too. It's a gorgeous cake! Very unique! I hope ole Polly doesn't have a program to track cakes similar in design on the net, because you know people are going to be trying this one. Is she saying "Whimsy" in regards to cakes belongs to her? When I get another size square pan I might give it a go "my own self".
Ã

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:18am
post #20 of 28

carolann when you do you better post a pic because it looks like a hard one but like everyone else it is very pretty..

CarolAnn Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:41am
post #21 of 28

I'm cross eyed from looking at all the cakes on that page! Holy cow!!! My fav is the pink ovals with the silver dragee bands and butterflies! Wow!

When I get big I'll put a $3,000 min on all/any of my cakes too! So there!

Hardy har har har!!!

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 4:44am
post #22 of 28

icon_biggrin.gif If you really really really would like to master it, this is what I would suggest, and I am suggesting this because I have watched meticulous pepole work presicely and I am in awe of them becuase I can never ever ever have the patience to do so. But what I would do, if I had the patience and precision is I would start off with styrophom pieces to represent your layers. I would carve out the general angle based on what the picture looks like.

So what do we know? We know that Doug has outlined a basic concept of how to stack the layers.

We also know that all the corners are being lined up as you can see the picture the cakes are twisted so that the corners are lined up.

We also know if you pay really close attention the first layer has a really indented carve out or curve, the next layer up the angle is less and the next layer up is even more less and so on. You can really see it becuase by the time you get up to the top one there not much of an angle. This cake is kinda like one of those illusion 3D posters where if you looke really hard at it you see the hidden picture. I think it creates an illussion of twisty. And basically you can tell its accomplished with the edges lining up and the decreased amount of carving as each layer goes up.

So back to my strategy, i would just play around and move around the layers and onces you have it, mark where they stack etc. Then put the styrophone side by side and use a really long knife and use that as a guide on how much you are going to carve out.

Personally I think it could be done, but i dont have the patience or precision to do it. That's the only thing. I hope this helps.....but I honestly dont think its that hard, to get the shape..beucase its really an illusion and that is what is throwing everyone off. As far as the whole icing and buttercream think you are on your own on that one...thats why I am FondantFrenzy....i am buttercreamlexic....Hope this helps GOOD LUCK

and if you get even close.....i will be bowing down to you...please let us know or even post pictures even if it doenst look good...beucase people will probably be able to give you tips on what went wrong...You are brave for wanting to try it.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 5:59pm
post #23 of 28

I understand the twist, it's the angle of each layer that looks confusing. LOL! Lots of math went into figuring out the right angle, so it's not going to be a cake I will produce any time soon. I hate math! LOL!

CarolAnn Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 2:47pm
post #24 of 28

I'm not a math person either, but I don't think this is as complicated as we're supposing it to be. I think each cake is constructed the same then they are rotated just so to create the twist which just boggles the mind into thinking it's very complex. Great use of illusion.

If you made five round tiers and iced them all with stripes going at an angle and maybe even put wavy stripes on some you could probably create an illusion that'd make people dizzy just looking at it. Some of the Turvy cakes do that for me! LOL

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 3:24pm
post #25 of 28

I really think each layer is carved at an angle also. I don't know, making me dizzy to look at it! LOL!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #26 of 28

I keep on looking at the picture but I don't think each layer within a tier is twisted as mentioned before. I personally think the cake is just stacked and triangular sections are carved off then each tier is offset to create the illusion.

After thinking about it, I started carving the corners off juice boxes and I found that creates the illusion without offsetting each layer in the tiers.

If you look carefully at the 3rd tier you will see what I mean.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 7:40pm
post #27 of 28

CarolAnn -

What do you mean, "when you get big...". Your cakes are Ab Fab now, but if you're going replicate those cakes, I'd be disappointed if you didn't ask for close to those prices! I know your market is different, but the same amount of work, same supplies, deserves the same price, if not close - the highest your market will bear, Girlfriend! Don't sell yourself short!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

capitts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
capitts Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #28 of 28

Maybe it's three layers in each tier...

It's kind of like the effect you get when you twist party napkins. You set out a stack of napkins and then take the palm of your hand and give it a twist...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%