Freaking Out, First Wedding Order!!

Business By jnestor Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 5:24pm by ccr03

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 3

Ok...I've been doing this cake decorating deal for about 2-3 years (I'm a WMI, and I have a cake resell business), and all of a sudden within in the last month, I've got a ton of orders for cakes! (I wanted this a long time ago!) Anyways long story short, I'm freaking out because of a friend of a friend wants me to do cupcakes for her friend's wedding. I thought maybe 50, 100, but no she wants 200 with gumpaste starfish in July! Ok, now here's the thing, I don't know how to charge for stuff like this. 200 cupcakes is a lot! Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to charge for 200, plain cupcakes, normal size, with gumpaste starfish?! I have to bring her sample cupcakes, and a price list next Friday. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm excited, and scared out of my mind, at the same time!

2 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 3

minimum $2 each...

just like charging for a normal wedding cake by the serving.

1 cupcake = 1 serving

and for all the work of doing all those little starfish which requires extra materials, a special cutter, and lots of time....tack on at least 50 cents each...

so that's MINIMUM of $2.50 each for a total of $500

---
just because they're cupcakes does NOT make them cheaper than a real cake. in fact due to PITA factor, more expensive.

try it....go out to a custom bakery (not Walmart or grocery store) and price one fancy cupcake. it will cost more than one serving of custom cake.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 3

I'm have to agree with Doug on this - one cupcake = one serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%