Confectioners Glaze??? Making Fondant Deco. Shiny?

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 30 Mar 2008 , 2:41pm by wgoat5

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 9:01am
post #1 of 12

I need something to bring a shine to a dry fondant decoration....

Is this what you use? If so how do you make it and how long does it have to dry?

Thanks again and again and again!!

Christi

11 replies
Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:15am
post #2 of 12

I have used a little shortening and rubbed it on to the fondant to make it shine. Haven't tried a glaze. Hopefully someone who has, will let us both know if it is a better way to do it.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 12

I use confectioner's glaze. You can't make it yourself. It's a food-grade shellac that's used to make things like gumballs shiny. The shoes on my doll cake in My Photos have confectioner's glaze on them to make them look like patent leather.

You can use the shortening or a little carefully applied piping gel, but not if this is a display piece, because the shortening or gel will attract dust.

Deanna

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 12

Ditto everything Deanna said. I use confectioners glaze A LOT. Once you try it, you'll be hooked! But, you must buy it.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 12

Will cocoa butter produce the same effect? I know it works on marzipan but I have never tried it on fondant!

Amy

wgoat5 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 12

Ok well LOL... that just bursts my bubble... I guess I'll try the shortening (it's for a topper for a cake) But.. Can you all direct me to a site that I can get the confections "shellac" ?

Thanks a billion

Christi

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 10:51am
post #7 of 12

gum arabic disolved in hot water is the same as confectioners glaze. It dries with a lovely shine

TigerFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TigerFan Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 12

I ordered some of the Confectioner's Glaze to make the fondant on my cookies shine. When I received it I noticed it had "for display purposes only". So I called the company and they did not recommend that it be used for consumption but rather to preserve baked goods or candy for display. Since I was making Easter cookies for a class I didn't use it for fear of it making some of the children sick. I would be interested in hearing feedback for those of you who have used it.

I did find this recipe for edible varnish which I haven't used yet. If someone tries it, let me know how it works out.

Edible Varnish
1 tsp. gelatin
3 tsp. water
1 tsp. liquid glucose

Sprinkle gelatin in the water, let stand until spongy, dissolve until clear over hot water not boiling add liquid glucose and stir until ingredients are well combined, put it in an airtight container. the mix will get very stiff, to use it, heat in a container of hot not boiling water paint onto item while still hot. do not refrigerate.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 12

Ihave used the confectioner's glaze also. I love it. The type I use says that it's "food grade". I bought it from Wine and Cakes hobbies in Norfolk Virginia. They have a web site so you can look it up, if you like. www.wineandcake.com If you do use it, be sure to wsh your brushes promto. Hope this helps.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 12

I mix equal parts clear alcohol (like gin or vodka) and corn syrup (I like Karo) and it makes a nice shiney glaze. It takes a while to dry though

jubeken2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jubeken2005 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 12:45pm
post #11 of 12

i also want to make my fondant toppers shiny... do you know any recipe for in making one? thanks!

wgoat5 Posted 30 Mar 2008 , 2:41pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks guys for the tips and the sites icon_smile.gif

Great info!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%