Anyone Out There Under The Cottage Industry Foods?

Business By aprilcake Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 6:57pm by foxgwyn

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:17am
post #1 of 25

I live in ohio and by reading...it looks like I wont need to be licensed to sell and bake cakes in my home...but I have a few questions for those of you who might be under the same law...can we do bridal shows under the cottage foods or do you have to be licensed...also...the labels require all this:
#

The name and address of the business of the �Cottage Food Production Operation�;
#

The name of the food product;
#

The ingredients of the food product, in descending order of predominance by weight;
#

The net weight or net volume of the food product;
#

The following statement in ten-point type: �This Product is Home Produced.�

Do any of you have a pic/sample of exactly how that label is laid out...it seems like a lot to do and fit on one label but if it means the difference between me going to bridal shows or not...i will do it!

April :0)

24 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 25

Hello, I am! *wave*

There is one in my pics, I think. Nothing fancy, but it has to be on there if you are following the cottage laws. There is also a pic of the label on the DOA website so you know what you have to have on there.

aprilcake Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 25

so are we allowed to go to bridal shows as long as we have everything in lidded cups labeled?

MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 25

I don't think you have to label if you are giving free samples, only if you are selling something. So I think for the bridal shows you are fine with just lidded cups, but having an ingredient list handy at the show is probably a good idea in case someone asks due to allergies, etc.

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 25

Okay...... I am now confused. If you are considered a cottage industry you do not have to be licensed???? Is it the same for every state?

MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 25

I believe there are just a handful of states, maybe four or five, who have cottage laws similar to Ohio. We can be licensed and follow the rules and regulations for that, or we can follow the cottage laws. I don't know about Alabama.

crablegs Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 25

How do I find out what my cottage laws are?

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 25

I am, too! This is print from one of my labels:
+++++++
I Want Moore Cake, Please!
Sheila Moore
Sreet Address, Arcanum, OH 45304
Phone xxx-xxx-xxxx

Chocolate Cake with Butter Cream Frosting

Cake Ingredients: Pre-measured Commercial Base*, Coffee, Sour Cream, Flour, Sugar, Eggs, Vegetable Oil, Cocoa, Salt
Butter Cream Ingredients: Sugar, Shortening, Butter, Milk, Creamer (contains soy), Vanilla and Butter Extracts

Allergen Alert: Contains Milk, Soy and Eggs. *Some ingredients may be produced where nuts are processed.

âThis Product is Home Producedâ

+++++++++++

I include the Allergen Alert on my own accord, just to protect myself. Also, any brochures, flyers and even my business cards all state "All Products are Home Produced" on it (really trying to cover my butt!).

The only other thing that you need to remember is that you can't sell anything that requires refrigeration. So, be careful with your filling choices and I wouldn't get into doing cheesecakes for anyone.

I find that most people I sell to don't even think about licensing and are surprised/comment when they see my labels. When they hear that the state requires it, I think it subconciously makes them wonder about other cakes they bought that didn't have labeling on it .... they appreciate that I comply and tell me so. I also include not just the address on my label, but my phone number as well ... I've had a person call me that was at a party that got my number off my box.

Where are you at in Ohio?

MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 25

There is a post pinned at the top of this forum where people have listed their state's laws for home baking. Check that out for info.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-32550.html

crablegs Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 25

Sorry, Is being home licensed and being considered a cottage industry the same thing?

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 25

I probably do overkill on my labels. I list EVERYTHING. I feel better to be safe then sorry. People are allergic to all kinds of different things. I have a friend who is VERY allergic to almost everything. She literally has to read every single food label when she goes grocery shopping. You just never know if someone is allergic to Yellow dye #5.

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 25

Gotta love Ohio and the cottage food deal! thumbs_up.gif I am new to this, but am thrilled that it is legal for me to sell baked goods out of my home. I was wondering about wedding cakes and bridal shows myself. As long as everything is labeled then it's OK to go to bridal shows and/or make wedding cakes to take to receptions? Just wanting to make sure I am legal to do that as well. TIA

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:59pm
post #13 of 25

You can do bridal shows and advertise. But still check with your local city and county. Sometimes they have different rules for operating out of your home.

For bridal shows, I bring a couple copies of my ingredient list. I've yet to have someone ask for it, but I still have it just in case. You never know if a health inspector is going to show up. I hear they do from time to time. Yikes!

crablegs Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:11pm
post #14 of 25

It's just that when I questioned putting a small building on my lot to use for a kitchen they said that I could be listed as a cottage industry.

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:20pm
post #15 of 25

Go to the ohio department of agriculture website. Everything is spelled out there as far as the cottage law goes. About the only thing the state requires on the web site is you cant have a dog in the kitchen area and no carpet in the kitchen area. Call your local department of health and human services. I called our local office and they don't know jack.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:27pm
post #16 of 25

Hi fellow Ohioan!!!!!! What parts are you from? I'm west of Cleveland. Good luck!!!!

aprilcake Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:28pm
post #17 of 25

so if the health department shows up at a bridal show and asks for my lisence...as long as I show him my list of ingredients and tell him I am under the cottage industries and my samples are in lidded cups...am I ok?

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:34pm
post #18 of 25

I am from fayette county in good ole Washington Court House. I doubt if a food inspector will walk up to you being as we don't need a license. You can have the health department come and inspect your kitchen and have a license that way. Go to cakedot.com she is out of columbus she has her kitchen licensed but I am sure that is the only license you would have to get. She is also a member of the BBB. You may want to think about that. I am not far enough along to really worry about that. I would like to take some classes and get better at fondant and learn marzipan sculpting and get better with royal icing

MichelleM77 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 25

the dog and carpet thing is for being licensed, not cottage laws, I believe.

crablegs, I don't believe Alabama allows home baking, but you need to check out your state's health department or department of agriculture.

smoore Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:50pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

the dog and carpet thing is for being licensed, not cottage laws, I believe.

crablegs, I don't believe Alabama allows home baking, but you need to check out your state's health department or department of agriculture.

You're right. The dog/pet and carpet thing is for licensed businesses only. Licensed businesses in Ohio have a minimal annual fee and are subject to inspection and aren't bound by the labeling and non-perishable items (i.e. if it must be refrigerated) like cottage foods industries are, but the cottage foods cover most baked goods and once you've got your labels figured out, it's not a big deal to do that -- easier than fretting over inspections! Cottage foods industry businesses also must be small enough that you aren't using a commercial kitchen or multiple ovens. See this page:
http://www.ohioagriculture.gov/pubs/divs/food/curr/cottage/food-cottageindex.stm

jadak Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:55pm
post #21 of 25

I love in Milford...a suburb of Cincinnati....for those who asked where we're all from. icon_smile.gif

smoore Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:21pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadak

I love in Milford...a suburb of Cincinnati....for those who asked where we're all from. icon_smile.gif

I'm in Arcanum, about 25 miles north of Dayton in the middle of a cornfield. icon_smile.gif You're probably about a 2 hour drive for me?

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 6:42pm
post #23 of 25

Thanks for posting this thread! It has answered a ton of questions for me!

I live in Springfield Township/Mt. Healthy (also a suburb of good ol' Cincy). icon_biggrin.gif

jadak Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 2:47pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadak

I'm in Arcanum, about 25 miles north of Dayton in the middle of a cornfield. icon_smile.gif You're probably about a 2 hour drive for me?

That's probably about right. thumbs_up.gif

foxgwyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxgwyn Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:57pm
post #25 of 25

Hello All - Thought I would chime in too. I'm in Dayton and I wanted to thank you all for the great info!! You have answered a bunch of questions I had.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%