What Icing Do I Use????

Baking By mom2x Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 5:16pm by mom2x

mom2x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2x Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 10

Hi there,

I am going to make my first batch of NFSCs tomorrow with my son. I have read tons about making them and hopefully they come out fine.

My problem is that after reading tons of websites I don't know if I should be using rolled buttercream icing or royal icing? If you do use royal icing, how do you put it on the cookie?

Thanks in advance!

Kam

9 replies
toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 10

mom2x
Usually the Royal Icing is the last decoration you use. You might want a glace or fondant first and then the RI. For my royal icing, I use piping bags and tips.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 10

I use a modified version of Toba's Cookie Glace. It's just equal parts milk (I use skim) or water and cornsyrup mixed with powdered sugar. I add some brite white food color (helps prevent cloudy icing). I apply it using a decorating bag and a #3 or #4 tip for flooding. I outline the cookie with the icing, then immediately flood with more icing. I smooth out the icing with an off-set spatula. Details and outlines will need a stiffer icing, so you have to add more powdered sugar to get the consistency you'll need. The icing is firm to the touch but not crunchy hard, and after 24 hours you can use food color pens to draw on details or designs.

toleshed Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 10

GeminiRJ
do you really like the glace? I have been experimenting and have decided I like the MMF. But I just bought Tobas book and the icing recipes look so yummy

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 11:38am
post #5 of 10

I like the glace because it is easy, tastes good, and I always have those ingredients on hand. I'd probably like MMF, but I never seem to have mini-marshmallows in the cupboard.

toleshed Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 10

yeah, I know. When I shop now I always get at least 3 bags of mini marshmallows

mom2x Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 10

GeminiRJ- Would you mind sending me your complete recipe for the icing? My email is [email protected]. So it will be a white icing? How about if I want coloured icing? Can I use the Wilton colours?

Also, how about the rolled buttercream icing? Is that any good?

Thanks again,

sugarinspired Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarinspired Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 10

I also use R.I. and MMF. I like the ri better though its more work. I haven't tried RBC or glaze. I thought the glaze is for cakes and its thinner, No?

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 10

I use poured cookie icing from the Wilton yearbook
1 C powdered sugar
2 tsp milk
2 tsp corn syrup
It goes on very nicely and dries to a shiny finish. Once dry you can stack the cookies and they don't stick together. I have found especially when I let my kids help that using those clear squeeze bottles (found at walmart or I've seen them at Michael's) is the easiest way to decorate. That way the kids can set the bottle down and not have frosting pouring everywhere out of the ends of decorating bags. Plus filling bags is a mess! When I use this recipe I have to make like 10 batches or more in order to have enough frosting. I just use food coloring or gel coloring. Good luck!

mom2x Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 10

Tonimarie - Thank you very much. I will try this out! I just wanted to make sure that I could use my Wilton colours and I'm glad that I can!

Thank you so much ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%