Decorating By k_anncookies Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm by jennym404

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:37pm
post #31 of 82

Thanks

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 1:39pm
post #32 of 82

Sorry crablegs, for some reason I didn't realize that's what you were asking! icon_redface.gif But yah, as was already answered, you can make great things by attaching to fondant, but I would steer clear of colored icing! What you can do if you really want to put it on a colored cake is put white icing on top of the cake where the image would go, or an easier route is to put the image on a sheet of fondant (trim if necessary) then put that on the colored cake. That way there is no bleeding.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:04pm
post #33 of 82

i haven't bought my own printer yet, but i get them from publix or krogers...the problem i have is that the images are always "faded" looking...colors are never true to the original. also, the professional ones in the bakeries make you format the pictures to a certain size..if you take in an odd sized logo or pic, the printer will automatically upsize or downsize your pic to the closest format...i took in some patches last time, and it automatically made them out in "wallet sized pics" which was quite a bit smaller than the gumpaste frames i had already drying. does the personal printers have these same problems?

i just finished a cake yesterday where i did a ton of edible images...of course, had to go to publix and pay $32!! yikes!! photos are in my album.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:16pm
post #34 of 82

mixinvixen - you need to get your ow nprinter!! $32!!!! No, personal printers do not have the same problem. Kopykake has a program that you can use for free when you buy their icing sheets. It allows for lots of customization. Or, you can use other printing programs as well. I'm not super computer savy, so I either use the Kopykake or Microsoft Word and just pull in the images I need.

As for fading, my images don't look faded, but depending on the quality and size of the original picutre, they can look fuzzy. I try to always start with the largest image possible to insure good quality.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:21pm
post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by amysue99

mixinvixen - you need to get your ow nprinter!! $32!!!!

I second that~!
mixinvixin, You did a fantastic job on that cake. You definately need to get your own... It will save you tons of money...

mixinvixen Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:37pm
post #36 of 82

thanks! i really love to personalize my cakes, and i think edible images are the best way. the only things that make me shy away from them are the price, of course, and the fading of the colors...it just seems like you lose so much color detail when you do the edible image. thanks for letting me know that the personal printer doesn't do that...i was already wanting one, but now i know that my next little chunk of change i collect will go for my own!!

my husband has one question though...does the printer have a tendency to get clogged up or the cartridges go bad with old ink if you don't use them that often?...i'm averaging about one large cake, maybe two, a month, right now since i'm just starting out.

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:58pm
post #37 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

my husband has one question though...does the printer have a tendency to get clogged up or the cartridges go bad with old ink if you don't use them that often?...i'm averaging about one large cake, maybe two, a month, right now since i'm just starting out.

You bet! that's why I have had two printers die on me.. icon_evil.gif They have gotten better over the last 10 years, but my advice is to use them frequently, even daily.. you don't have to use the expensive frosting sheets, plain paper will do... just to keep the print heads from drying out.. I am looking to buy another one icon_redface.gif <shaking head in shame>, but I will definately take better care this time.... icon_eek.gif

mixinvixen Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 3:08pm
post #38 of 82

i had thought that maybe i could do a few sayings or stock photos once a week, to keep the ink fresh...if i keep the printed pages wrapped up tight, how long do you think they would last?

i love the way several on here do the gumpaste banners with edible image "happy birthdays" etc...it just really looks so much more professional then writing it out in icing...it's also a good keepsake.

CakesByLJ Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 3:14pm
post #39 of 82

I don't know what the life expectancy on gumpaste or fondant would be... maybe someone else has that answer??

Melvira Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 3:41pm
post #40 of 82

I have the Canon PixmaIP6000D and have never had a clot, clog, or issue at all! I have been using it since (I think) mid 2006, and sometimes will go a month or more without using it. (Sometimes I'll use it constantly for a while too!) If you are concerned, you can certainly print things once a week to keep it 'lubed'. You can keep already printed images well wrapped in a ziplock bag for quite a while. My nephew will be 10 months old next week and I still have an image I printed for his baby shower cake before he was born. It's still supple and bright, not brittle or faded at all. (I had more than I needed, so just kept the extra and will try to figure out what to do with it!)

Another fun thing to do if you want to run prints to keep it all 'in shape' is print out your business logo and put them on some cupcakes or sugar cookies and take them to some local businesses or give them to people you know as promotional items to get more orders. I do this often with my DH... send things to work with him and I always get orders from them.

mixinvixen Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 3:53pm
post #41 of 82

that's a great idea!! i'm constantly trying to think of new ways to advertise...kill two birds with one stone!

CakesByLJ Posted 31 Mar 2008 , 1:46pm
post #42 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I have the Canon PixmaIP6000D and have never had a clot, clog, or issue at all! I have been using it since (I think) mid 2006, and sometimes will go a month or more without using it.

Like I said... they have improved considerably since I bought my first one in 1998. I have always used Canon printers and never had a problem with them.. just the printheads, and they cost as much to replace as a new printer icon_confused.gif

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 9:38am
post #43 of 82

What would ya'll say is a good price for one? If you had to choose between one of those or airbrush which would you choose to purchase first?

Melvira Posted 2 Apr 2008 , 1:37pm
post #44 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyone65

What would ya'll say is a good price for one? If you had to choose between one of those or airbrush which would you choose to purchase first?

I hear this question alot about the printer vs. airbrush and my answer is always the same. Without fail, the printer. There is so much more you can do with it, it's amazing. I still haven't really tapped into the possibilities with the airbrush. But the printer is my buddy!

As far as price, you can get a good printer for around (or even under on sale) $100. That is a good price!

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:14pm
post #45 of 82

Thanks Melvira.....I've been lookin but can't find one for that kind of price. Do you have any suggestions? thanks

Melvira Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:41pm
post #46 of 82

Yes, when I bough mine I just did a search on Amazon.com and found an excellent Canon printer that was compatible for only $89!! I was thrilled! Just check out the list of printer at Icing Images and then search for them. Good luck!! Let me know if I can help! thumbs_up.gif

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:48pm
post #47 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

I have the Canon PixmaIP6000D and have never had a clot, clog, or issue at all! I have been using it since (I think) mid 2006, and sometimes will go a month or more without using it. (Sometimes I'll use it constantly for a while too!) If you are concerned, you can certainly print things once a week to keep it 'lubed'. You can keep already printed images well wrapped in a ziplock bag for quite a while. My nephew will be 10 months old next week and I still have an image I printed for his baby shower cake before he was born. It's still supple and bright, not brittle or faded at all. (I had more than I needed, so just kept the extra and will try to figure out what to do with it!)

Another fun thing to do if you want to run prints to keep it all 'in shape' is print out your business logo and put them on some cupcakes or sugar cookies and take them to some local businesses or give them to people you know as promotional items to get more orders. I do this often with my DH... send things to work with him and I always get orders from them.

logged in after such along time .But friends here always have gems of wisdom to share thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Apr 2008 , 11:51pm
post #48 of 82

The printers really aren't difficult to find. Staples currently shows the Epson® Stylus® C120 Color Printer for $89.95.

I have a Canon. When I am not printing an image, I keep the cleaner cartridges in. Never a clog that way.

CakesbyJam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyJam Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 12:07am
post #49 of 82

I have an Epson c88 an have not had any problems...I just went 3 months without printing an image and printed one for an Easter cake with no problems.
I use Edible Artist at http://deco.uk.com/..download the program for free.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:21pm
post #50 of 82

Please Help I have bought a Epson CX7400 I will be ordering the rest of my supplies from KopyKake. My question is what cleaner do I buy for this printer it will take the 4 tank color but I'm not sure what cleaner to order does anyone know

Molly2

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:40pm
post #51 of 82

I bought the Epson cx8400 a few months back and LOVE IT! I don't know what you clean with? Epson printers print head CAN NOT be removed to clean is my understanding. BUT the machine has a "Head Cleaner" setting I run sometimes! I love it! I am having a lot of fun using it!

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 6 Apr 2008 , 10:52pm
post #52 of 82

i have a question about edible images? can you just use a normal printer with edible ink cartrideges, (because I have an extra printer still in the box) or, do you have to get a special printer??

CakesbyJam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyJam Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:23am
post #53 of 82

Yes, you can use a regular printer..mine is..I have edible ink and the right cartridges..I ordered my ink and cartridges from Kopykake...there are other companies you can order ink and cartridges from.

Melvira Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:25am
post #54 of 82

Hey cakeroach, as long as NO regular ink has been run through it, and if it is a model listed as compatible. Go to www.icingimages.com and click on the edible ink supplies link and you will find a drop down menu that lists all the printers by brand and model. If your printer is listed, just order the cartridges and some edible paper, and you are IN BUSINESS!!! WOO-HOO!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 12:50am
post #55 of 82

OK Epson owners do I need to purchase a Epson Ink Cartridge Micro-Chip ($15.00) from Kopykakes along with my ink?

Molly2

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 1:20am
post #56 of 82

I just got my canon ip3500 for 69.99 and FREE shipping from canon!

Melvira Posted 11 Apr 2008 , 11:57am
post #57 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciaL_77

I just got my canon ip3500 for 69.99 and FREE shipping from canon!

Fantastic!! The shipping is usually where they 'get you', so any time you can get free shipping, that is marvelous! Good luck and enjoy all the fun things you're going to start doing!!! thumbs_up.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:54pm
post #58 of 82

After reading all of the posts and looking at the photos I am going to get the Canon. I think it's the ip3500. Could someone please tell me what else I need to get. I will go to Icing Images like Melvira suggested. Do I need to get something to clean it with? Also, I see you can get 4 or 6 cartridges, is that right? I am going to be doing a retro cake that I saw on Just Fabulous Pastries. I have a month to do it. Thanks

Melvira Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:58pm
post #59 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessbaker

After reading all of the posts and looking at the photos I am going to get the Canon. I think it's the ip3500. Could someone please tell me what else I need to get. I will go to Icing Images like Melvira suggested. Do I need to get something to clean it with? Also, I see you can get 4 or 6 cartridges, is that right? I am going to be doing a retro cake that I saw on Just Fabulous Pastries. I have a month to do it. Thanks

If you go to IcingImages you can choose a starter pack that has the cartridges, cleaner cartridges, and paper, or you can buy it all seperately, it's totally up to you. Then, they have refill kits which are a HUGE monetary savings!! I use them and highly suggest them. The number of cartridges you get depends on the model of printer. When you select your model number on the drop down menu it will take you directly to the correct cartridges!! Congratulations on this decision! I know we'll be seeing some wicked awesome stuff soon!!

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:49pm
post #60 of 82

Thanx Melvira, I printed out your response. This is a great help and I appreciate the time you took.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%