Edible Ink Printer Creations

Decorating By k_anncookies Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm by jennym404

k_anncookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k_anncookies Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 82

Hey I am debating on getting the Canon printer and edible ink setup and was reading all the threads about it. I would love to see what you all have done with yours! I do cookies and cakes and cupcakes and am so excited to try this out! Plus, seeing all these pics may help convince my DH that it will be worth it!

So, bring on the pics! You all are so creative! icon_biggrin.gif

81 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 82

I am a huge advocate of what you can do with the edible system, and you can get them so cheaply now, it's almost silly not to! Here are a few of my faves...
LL
LL

Melvira Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 82

I also love using them for cookies! There's nothing sweeter than my baby's face on a cookie!!
LL

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 82

melvira, how could you eat your baby like that? icon_wink.gif

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 82

Well I love my printer! I look for theings to do on it!::I really like doing the cookies but have done a few cake prints:
LL

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 82

And some cookies for Easter!
LL

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 82

YUMMM... I would eat Melvira's BABY! Anyone's baby really as long as their sweet little faces are on soft cookies! LOL! Teasing!

Here's a first birthday for a customer I did...
LL

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 82

Oops Tiny pic... Here it is where you can ACTUALLY see it!
LL

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_anncookies

Hey I am debating on getting the Canon printer and edible ink setup and was reading all the threads about it. I would love to see what you all have done with yours! I do cookies and cakes and cupcakes and am so excited to try this out! Plus, seeing all these pics may help convince my DH that it will be worth it!

So, bring on the pics! You all are so creative! icon_biggrin.gif

I have bought and worn out 2 printers so far icon_eek.gificon_cry.gif But I did this one years ago (1999) icon_surprised.gif Yikes that was a long time ago.. it was a lot of fun...
LL

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 82

The problem I have is finding images, that are clear enough to beable to print on the frosting paper. If you then find a good enough images if you try to enlarge it its becomes blurry.

Melvira Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedecoratingsmything

melvira, how could you eat your baby like that? icon_wink.gif

Puh-leeeeease! He's so sweet I could eat him up without the icing! icon_wink.gif I tell him all the time that he's so sweet I could spread him on toast. This kid is NOT going to have self esteem issues when he grows up. icon_rolleyes.gif

slb1956, I know exacty what you mean! Sometimes it can be a real task to find images to use, but once you find some good ones, you can really go to town on them. I find that a scanner is a great companion with the printer because I like to use wallpaper, scrapbooking papers, fabrics, all that sort of stuff to get fun images for cakes. You can also scan other things, or take digital pictures of stuff... ok, I am pointing out the obvious here... sorry. I am just such an advocate of this 'art' form. You can do great stuff with it, and it can help you create neat things quickly, especially for last minute orders... they don't HAVE to LOOK last minute!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:46pm
post #12 of 82

I just bought a Cannon IP 3500 and tried it out last night it is so nice to have this system. I know I will get alot of use out of it. I did the grim reaper to go on a cake for a co worker. So much fun. Where do you all get your frosting sheets?

Melvira Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:22am
post #13 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tona

I just bought a Cannon IP 3500 and tried it out last night it is so nice to have this system. I know I will get alot of use out of it. I did the grim reaper to go on a cake for a co worker. So much fun. Where do you all get your frosting sheets?

I cannot stress enough, www.icingimages.com is the BOMB!! They are the nicest people, have a good product, competitively priced, quick shipping, and customer service, customer service, customer service! I don't even buy THAT much stuff compared to a larger bakery, but they even sent me an Xmas card with a discount coupon. They ROCK!! A friend sent me a pack of KopyKake paper as a thank you gift and it's ok, but I still like icing images better!

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:40am
post #14 of 82

I drew it in photoshop, then printed it for the bow. I liked it!
LL

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:58am
post #15 of 82

It's all about being creative. You can do alot with an edible image. I just bought my printer recently but my favorite is the beer can in my pics. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=773153

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:18am
post #16 of 82

If I had an edible image printer, this is what I'd like to be doing with it. Isn't this awesome!!! I love this cake.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bettyssugardreams/2218822670/

Melvira Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:20pm
post #17 of 82

Alana... GET ONE!! That cake is gorgeous, and you'd love being able to do that stuff!! You are worth it! thumbs_up.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:42pm
post #18 of 82

I agree with Melvira - GET ONE!! I bought one to do last minute caks and have found so many uses. And the cake on flikr just gave me a great inspiration for an upcoming baby shower cake!

Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Sensation-Cakery Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:54pm
post #19 of 82

The edible printers are awesome. I like the epson best. It has excellent quality. Just one problem. The printer head is not removable and if you get a clogg that can't be handled through deep cleaning then you have to buy a whole another system.

Aare all you guys bakers or just home bodies like me that love to bake cakes?

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:41pm
post #20 of 82

I just discovered a website for FREE downloadable scrapbook papers. That would be awesome for decorating cakes with edible images.

www.scrapbookscrapbook.com

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:01pm
post #21 of 82

I purchased a printer a few weeks ago but have not used it yet. Do I need to put the images on white icing or can it be on colored icing?

kris_813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kris_813 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:03pm
post #22 of 82

Once I found out I could do this, there was no stopping me!!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1201684[/img]

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:39pm
post #23 of 82

kris 813....your cake is amazing. Can I ask how you did that without any seems showing? Did you place a rectangular piece of edible image around the side and then a circular piece on top? How did you measure around the cake and get the right length for the edibe image? Anything you could tell would be great. I really want to try this! Thanks

Melvira Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:17pm
post #24 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by crablegs

I purchased a printer a few weeks ago but have not used it yet. Do I need to put the images on white icing or can it be on colored icing?

You need to print on white icing sheets which can be purchased from www.icingimages.com They don't make colored sheets, as the inks woudl not show up well.

kris_813 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 8:12am
post #25 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonann

kris 813....your cake is amazing. Can I ask how you did that without any seems showing? Did you place a rectangular piece of edible image around the side and then a circular piece on top? How did you measure around the cake and get the right length for the edibe image? Anything you could tell would be great. I really want to try this! Thanks

That is exactly right!!! I do have seams, but after I put the image on and give it a few minutes to blend in with the buttercream, I use the paper towel method.

amysue99 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:39pm
post #26 of 82

I have a Cannon MP with the scanner. I really like it - great photo quality. And the print heads are removeable. We've had to clean them a few times. The only drawback is that my particular printer has electronic chips on the tank cartridges. They register how much ink is in the tank. And, once the tank is empty, the chip has to be reset. No problem, except that Cannon doesn't make a chip resetter icon_sad.gif so it has to be done manually which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

kris_813 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 1:51pm
post #27 of 82

What a small world! Amy, I looked at your site and saw we have the tri-boarder area in common. I'm an Army wife at JFC.

crablegs Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:29pm
post #28 of 82

I have the sheets. I needed to know if the icing on the cake had to be white or if I could put it on a light blue or something. Also can I put these on top of fondant?

amysue99 Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 6:45pm
post #29 of 82

kris - I've PM'd you!!

Crablegs - Colored frosting may bleed through the frosting sheet and distort your picture. I airbrush a lot of color on and the frosting sheet just pulls it right up and absorbs it. I once ended up with a pink horse!

If you want to put it on fondant, just lightly mist or brush the fondant with water or piping gel and then apply the image

crablegs Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 7:10pm
post #30 of 82

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%