Help! Lots Of Questions ...

Decorating By twinkletwinkledliz Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 8:27pm by twinkletwinkledliz

twinkletwinkledliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletwinkledliz Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 10

ok i have a ton of questions...i am making the wasc recipe today but i am making a 10x3 pan and a 8x3 how long would you bake for ?

Also if i wanted to cake to be blue or green or something would you add food coloring to the batter?

another question...i have some dinosaur molds, if i wanted to mold gumpaste into dinosaurs would i leave the gumpaste white and them color it after it is dry? if so how would i paint them? or would i have to color the fondants first? or is it just a better idea to use chocolate?

last thing i want t make an egg on the top and have a little dinosaur breaking out of it..what would you make the egg out of and how long wold it have to dry? sorrt for asking so many questions..if any of you could help me out with any i would appreciate it soooooooooooo much...i gotta do this for tmw, its my nephews bday ahhhh!

9 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 10

I can't help with the time for the cakes to bake. I don't time mine. Just put them in there until they are done.

Yes, you can color the batter with a few drops of food coloring, it won't hurt it.

I would color the fondant before you mold the dinosaurs if you pain them after they will probably look painted.

Don't really know what to make the egg out of. Maybe someone with more experience in that department would be able to help.

cassi_g16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassi_g16 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 10

you can definately die the batter I have done it plenty of times. Look at red velvet...It has a whole bottle of red die in it! I would also die the fondant first for the molds. on the hatching egg, I would suggest chocolate. make a hollow egg the with a hot knife, cut off the top in a jagged "just hatching" way. Stick in a molded dinosaur and stick the top back on at an angle.

This is just how I would do it.....

twinkletwinkledliz Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 10

thank you guys so much!! how would i know if the cake is done baking by just looking at it....my sister wants me to do a 9x13 now too ...do any of you know how long it will take for that to bake up? too much to do , too little time!

bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 10

I would make the egg by dipping a small balloon in chocolate 3/4 of the way a few times and then let it dry. pop the balloon and make the edges of the egg more jagged with a knife. If you use white chocolate you could then dust it with some cocoa powder to make it have kinda brown speckles

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 10

I made an egg last week with a chick coming out...I just rolled out some gumpaste really thin and placed it over a plastic egg...It was split in two...one for the top piece and one for the bottom...before it dried out completely I had cut the edges so they were "broken" like an egg...if I hope this helps...I know sometimes it is hard to visualize what someone is explaining...feel free to PM me if I can help with this method further...GOODLUCK!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 10

How long it takes depends on what temp you are baking at. I bake at 325 and it's a minimum of 30 minutes then I start checking it. If it jiggles in the center it's not done. If it bounces back when you light push it in the center stick a tooth pick in it and see if it comes out clean. For cakes that size I would use and inverted flower nail in the center so the edges don't over cook. I also use bake even strips to help it bake level and even.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 10

For the deeper cakes, I use a piece of spaghetti to stick into the cake...... if it comes out without any sticky batter ( clean),on it, it is done...... For a 3' deep cake WITH A HEAT CORE, or inverted flower nail, at 325 degrees, I would plan on about an hour to bake..........

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 10

a 10x3 pan and a 8x3 how long would you bake for ? sister wants me to do a 9x13 now too... how long it will take for that to bake up

I'm sure by now you already have them baked but here's some general info:
I've only done 2" deep cakes but 3"ers take longer. An 8x2 & 10x2 round should take aobut 20-30 minutes to bake so 3" deep ones maybe 30-45 minutesicon_sad.gif You should be able to bake those 2 at the same time. You bake alot by your nose! Times are only a general guideline. When you can smell it it is usually done. Check by lightly pressing w/a finger in the center of the cake - if it springs back it is done.
Your 9x13 uses 1 1/2 cake mixes. This should take about 25-35 minutes. Again use your nose & finger to ck them.
Good suggestions on making the egg. The choco is the fastest but can be more fragile.
GP or fondant is easy to work with - just like pie doughicon_smile.gif It dries kinda fast but takes maybe overnight. Depends on how humid it is where you live.

twinkletwinkledliz Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 10

well originally my plan was to make a bunch of little dinosaurs out of fondant/gumpate but i didnt think they would dry icon_sad.gif i live in miami so humidity down here is horrible. Not only that but i have 3 little kids and they take up alot of my time...but i managed to do a couple of them and i hope they dry by tmw. THANK you Guys soooooooooo soooooooooo much. I REALLY REALLY appreciate the time you have aken to help me out icon_smile.gif its my first time doing little figures so lets see how this turns out lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%