Design On Paper (Or Computer) And Finished Cake...

Decorating By PennySue Updated 28 Mar 2008 , 12:01pm by sweetbaker

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 19

Several people have asked me to post my finished baby shower cake after seeing the computer design of it. (I will be making it next week) Since I can't draw worth a lick, using the computer is the next best thing. So....I think it would be fun to see what you all do. I'll start with a cake design and finished cake made for a sweet 16 birthday. It came out a bit different than what I designed, but I learned quite a bit from it.

Who's next?!
LL

18 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 19

What program do you use Penny Sue? This is a really close likeness!!!!!!!

I'm and artist and I don't draw - ha! It's boring and makes me nuts.......I collage with photos, fabric, ribbons, pieces of bric-a-brac, etc. on a bulletin board. I call them feed my eye designs. It looks like an interior decorators presentation chart. I will have to take a photo.

Then when ready with the complete design thought, I will lay out my designs with hunks of paper over an actual pan for my exact placement.

PennySue Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 19

Please do take a picture. Your method sounds intriguing!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 19

. . . I would also be interested to know what program you are using . . . TIA

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 19

i'd like to know what program too. i've got wedding cake design pro but it is soooooooooo limited. would love to be able to design your way

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 19

I would also love to know what program you use, it looks really good. I don't have any sort of program & would love to have one.

marjiw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marjiw Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 19

I too would like to know what program you use. Looks neat!

C-Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C-Lady Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 19

Me too. Would you mind sharing what program you're using. The the final cake is such a close likeness to the drawing.

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 19

well, i don't use a computer program, but i do sketch first. I'm such a cheapskate, i use my dry erase board to do sketches. I've got a few of those, if anyone is interested...
LL
LL

patrice2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrice2007 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 19

Ok....just like everyone else I to would love to know what program you are using. I have been looking for one, because I'm tired of all my little pencil drawings on the back of anything a can get my hands on at the moment. It would be nice to have them all stored on my computer...
Thank you

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 19

I keep my drawing pad next to my bed, my spot in the living room and sometimes take it to my doctor appointments to do a little sketching. I will have to see if there are any ideas in there that I have completed yet...I look forward to seeing where we all start our creativity.....[/b]

jmpearl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmpearl Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:51pm
post #12 of 19

I would also like to know what program you use.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 19

Well, mine's not as pretty as yours icon_biggrin.gif I drew it freehand, and you can see that I've got the front corner of the square tier dipping down in the drawing. I decided not to do the hearts/leaves that I sketched out on it, and went with circle cutouts instead. I also had lots of extra pink pearls so they ended up all over it.
LL

C-Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C-Lady Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:37pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks Lilypie and TexasRose, I think both drawing are pretty darn good. I know, the drawing doesn't have to be exact as long as you get the gist of what your trying to accomplish from it. I can do that, but i still would like to have that program (wishful thinking).

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:53pm
post #15 of 19

Oh dear!!! Now if someone could only teach me to draw.............................

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:35am
post #16 of 19

I too would love to know what program.

I need one that dummy proof and easy to use.

PennySue Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:46am
post #17 of 19

Lilypie and TexasRose, I think your drawings are great! Wish I could draw half as well! I use Microsoft Office Publisher. It has some neat tools for making cubes and cylinders. The rest of the things like hearts and flowers I get off the internet.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:56pm
post #18 of 19

I bet paint shop pro would be good for designing cakes. You'd have to make the basic cake shapes, or find picture tubes of them somewhere, but they would only have to be made once for each shape, and then saved as a picture tube. I already have tubes of frosting flowers and little hearts and stuff. Maybe I'll try making the cake shapes later, and it anyone has paint shop pro, if I come up with anything decent I'll be happy to share icon_biggrin.gif

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 28 Mar 2008 , 12:01pm
post #19 of 19

Here's a link to a thread where I show a coloring page picture that inspired me to do a cake.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-204101-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%