Pricing / Making "hello Cupcake" Cupcakes

Decorating By imartsy Updated 29 Mar 2008 , 2:34pm by TheButterWench

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 15

I've been asked to make some cupcakes from the "Hello Cupcake" book. I'm attaching a picture.

1) Anyone know how to make these? I don't have the book... I'm going to try and see if I can at least look at it today at the book store

2) Any idea how to price these? It includes a large cupcake and a mini cupcake, decorations, and candy. I may not do the "leash" on the dogs so that might save some money. I said I couldn't do it for any less than $2.00 a cupcake, but I'm feeling I should charge more... i said I'd let my friend know after I had looked at the book and could see what kind of ingredients and how much of those ingredients the cupcakes would require..... but I'd love it if anyone has made them before and can let me know what you charged.

I know, it's another pricing question! Sorry!
LL

14 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 15

The leash is gonna cost you what - a few cents?! That I think is the least of your worries. I personally wouldn't touch these for less than $4 a pop, they are going to be very labour intensive!

IcingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcingSugar Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 15

sorry, duplicate post!

IcingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcingSugar Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 15

Hi ImArtsy,

The book isn't out yet, but there's a webpage that happens to have directions for these. Try the link below:

http://www.hellocupcakebook.com/More_Cupcake_Designs.html

Good luck!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 15

There are actually two cupcakes on there, a regular sized one, and a mini.

I would venture a minimum of $$4 each, which includes both cupcakes, the extra icing for the design, and your time. Around here, I would charge $5.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 15

The book just became available today (3/26)...

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 15

Those are way to cute. Thanks for posting the link, and asking the question. icon_smile.gif

imartsy Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 15

I think I may try to steer my friend towards a different design - just a "one cupcake" design. They have a design for a lab in that book (I saw it at Border's - didn't buy it, but it has some cute ideas). I think that would be close to the "golden retrievers" she originally wanted... although they're still going to be blue.....

Anyway, I think I might try to steer her that way by telling her that after looking into it further, I'm thinking the cupcakes would be at least $3.50 each.... that would be $84 and I'm pretty sure that's not what she wanted to spend on 24 cupcakes.....that's raising my price a lot from $2.00 - but I'll just have to tel her after looking into it, there's a lot more ingredients needed and a lot more time needed than I originally could tell from just looking at the picture...

Think that'll be ok?

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 15

I think that is a very reasonable offer, especially since you are willing to help work on another design that would still be what she wants but would fit into her budget better.

imartsy Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 15

Well guess what? This customer actually has no problem paying the $3.50 per cupcake... maybe it's just me then! I guess I can't imagine paying $3.50 per cupcake myself!

She said her granddaughter likes the design of the puppies on the cover of the book, so that's what I'm going to do! I think I'll also put a spaghetti stick imbetween the two cupcakes so that it can transfer ok (i didn't want puppy heads rolling off their bodies when she takes the cupcakes). That way, if a kid does actually bite into it, they shouldn't choke or puncture anything in their mouths icon_smile.gif I've told her she should probably remove the stick first, though.

Thank you all for your help!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 15

Oh, Way 2 Go!

See, my theory is right - if they want it enough, they are willing to pay the price!

So, lunch is on you, right? LOL! Just kidding!

Couldn't be happier for you -

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 12:13pm
post #12 of 15

maybe that's the purpose of the lease candy, to hold the head onto the little body.

You're going to do them for $3.50 each? Please tell her they are a once only intro price because I know you will be kicking yourself after you've made them thinking that you should've charged more!

imartsy Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 15

Alrighty, so I've finished them. I've got to say though, I'm not really pleased with them. The instructions for the book didn't really give you a good idea of how to make the nose.... I needed some extra pictures or something to understand what the were doing... I think they look okay, but not quite what I would have wanted.... I wish I could have done something different - but this is what she requested.

She definitely wanted some of the doggies blue - or her granddaughter did - all the other colors I made up. I've put it in my photos if you'd like to see.....

The eyes are gel (some were jelly beans but it took way too long to try to cut them), noses are black jelly beans cut in half, ears are marshmallows dipped in some pink sugar. Buttercream dream icing, yellow cupcakes.

The cake is here...http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1204095&done=1

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 15

Cute beyond cute! I think you did a great job, don't be so hard on yourself!

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 29 Mar 2008 , 2:34pm
post #15 of 15

I agree with 'jovibabe they are adorable. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%