Drawing On Cake?

Decorating By stsapph Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 8:36pm by superstar

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:49am
post #1 of 9

I was wondering if there was anything along the lines of an edible pencil that can be used for cakes? I've been wanting to try some of the techniques that I know from my previous life as a scenic painter in a theater. However, I would want to "sketch out" certain things on the cake first to go back over later. Obviously, I'm used to doing this in pencil or chalk, but am looking for an edible version that can be used to sketch, but the blend in when I do the actual design. Any ideas about about different products that might work for this? I'm up for trying anything just don't know where to start. TIA!!

Amber

8 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 9

I thought about those, but some of the paint techniques wouldn't cover it up. I guess I'm looking for something that will disappear.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 9

there are a couple of things that you can use.

One would be actual colored chalk. It's non toxic. Before anyone jumps on me, that is how I learned to color my gumpaste flowers before all these dust colors came about.

They use chalk in schools and it has to be non toxic in case you have kiddies that ingest it.

Second

You can make edible carbon paper.

you take a piece of grease proof paper, lay it on some parchment paper ( you can use parchment paper too.) rub a little Vegetable shortening on the paper, an even coating all across the paper. ( cut a little larger than you need ) then dust with a light layer of cocoa powder shake off the excess.

then

with a couple of dress makers pins, the ones with the pearl head, that you've sanitized by swabbing with alcohol and pin the paper onto the area you wish to outline.

use a very sharp pencil or scriber to draw on the cake, carefully lift the "edible stencil" off your cake and you should have a nice outline of your picture.

I have drawn my picture directly onto the paper I'm going to use, when my drawing is what I want, I will then turn the paper over and then rub the Veggie shortening and dust with cocoa powder and use as directed.

HTH

stsapph Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 9

Wow! Sounds great! I think both of those techniques will work well. Thank you so much for the ideas!!!

TheButterWench Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 9

if you get any cocoa or chalk on areas you don't want it, or you smudge you can use a cotton swab dipped into a lil vodka to remove the smudge

stsapph Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 9

Good tip. Thank you, you have been such a help on this for me!

TheButterWench Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 9

Well I hope it works and it's useful.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 9

Great tip, I would love to try the cocoa . Another idea to add to the millions running around in my head. CCers are fabulous people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%