Drawing On Cake?

Business By stsapph Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 4:48pm by stsapph

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:48am
post #1 of 10

I was wondering if there was anything along the lines of an edible pencil that can be used for cakes? I've been wanting to try some of the techniques that I know from my previous life as a scenic painter in a theater. However, I would want to "sketch out" certain things on the cake first to go back over later. Obviously, I'm used to doing this in pencil or chalk, but am looking for an edible version that can be used to sketch, but the blend in when I do the actual design. Any ideas about about different products that might work for this? I'm up for trying anything just don't know where to start. TIA!!

Amber

9 replies
stsapph Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:52am
post #2 of 10

Sorry, posted in wrong forum and don't know how to delete. Still kind of a newbie icon_redface.gif

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 10

I'm not familiar with such a tool, but it really sounds like a good idea. Maybe you can invent one. I would luv to be able to draw without the worry of my mistakes. Maybe a Cake Eraser would be good too!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 10

Chaptlps did this for a competition cake last year. Maybe you could PM her?

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=112423

stsapph Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 10

Wow, her cake is amazing. I know graphite is non-toxic, but I think people might freak out of they knew I was drawing on an edible cake with a pencil. I think the response might be better towards chalk or, of course, cocoa.

FlowerGirlMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlowerGirlMN Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 9:50am
post #6 of 10

I used the Wilton's food markers for my sketched orchids cake, if that helps

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 10

I agree about the pencil, I wouldn't want to know I was eating chalk either. In her comments, she mentioned another member gave her an alternative for edible cakes, but she didn't mention what it was...

stsapph Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 10

Well, I have posted to her asking the question. Hopefully I will get a response (crossing fingers!)

laurynrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurynrn Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 10

Could you draw on parchment paper and then hold it over the cake to see how it will flow and fit. Then when your ready you can either cut our templates or use a small pin to poke through your design onto the icing.

stsapph Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 10

That could also work very well...Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%