Another Storage Question...sorry

Decorating By twinkletoe21 Updated 26 Mar 2008 , 3:40pm by mmgiles

twinkletoe21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletoe21 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 5

i was wondering how everyone keeps their tiered cake fresh?
i mean when you make it for a customer, i know you probably do it a day ahead or so so i was wondering how you cover it or do you leave it out in the open or what? NEEDDD HELP pls???? TIA!

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 5

Once a cake is iced, the icing/fondant acts as a seal .... it seals the cake, preventing air from getting to the cake itself, keeps it fresh.

Just like a loaf of bread that is wrapped in plastic before it goes to the store, sits on the shelf, rides to your house, where it sits on your counter or in your breadbox for days before the final slice is finally eaten .... and it still tastes fine.

I bake my wedding cakes on Thursday ... bake/ice/decorate.... for sat weddings. Since I cut and serve most of my wedding cakes, I tend to take a slice now and then to check the quality .... they hold up just fine.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:30am
post #3 of 5

Just leave it 'out in the open'icon_smile.gif If it's boxable it goes in the box and sits on my rolling card until p/u.
If I have baked before Thurs (for a Sat/Sun cake) it goes in the fzr until Wed night or Thur a.m.

Side note: I worked at a very well acclaimed bakery in CA. They often had completly finished wedding cakes done by Tue & Wed - and left them in a seldom used room (where the public could enter). The 1st time I saw this I could not believe iticon_sad.gif It was not unusual for them to have some 100-150 b'day cakes and maybe 10 weddings a wknd. There were up to 5 decorators.

twinkletoe21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinkletoe21 Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 5:10am
post #4 of 5

thank you so much indydebi and kakelady!!! i reallyy appreciate all your advice! =) take care!!!

btw, kakelady where in california are you? =) just wondering since im in hollywood.. =)

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 5

Since I work alone, I cannot deliver my larger cakes already stacked. So when I finish them I put each tier in a sperate box and then store them out of the way. If its small enough for me to carry, then its usually small enough for a box. I too freeze until Thursday for Saturday weddings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%