Cake Camp And Ices - How Can You Afford To Go?

Decorating By zumbacakes Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 5:12pm by TexasSugar

zumbacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zumbacakes Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 6:29am
post #1 of 8

How can you afford to travel to ICES and Cake Camp? Any CC members have tips to visit Cake Camp or ICES on a budget Thanks. Do you stay with relatives? Stay a few days shorter at ICES or Cake Camp?

I am on a budget and just would like to get tips from veteran attendees how to travel to cake camp and ICES on a budget. Thanks.

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 8

I haven't been to the Cake Camp so I don't know much about it. But I've been to 4 ICES Conventions. To me the Hotel part is the biggest expense, well besides shopping. icon_smile.gif

Alot of people will share rooms to help cut down on the costs. Also if you have a car (not sure where you live) you can stay at a different hotel. At the Grapevine Convention two years ago I stayed at a Best Western that was about 15 mins away from the Convention hotel and I saved half the money and didn't have to share the room with anyone.

You can also put yourself on a shopping budget. You can have a great time at the convention and not have to buy everything you see. You still need money for food. Which at some of the hotels can get expensive if they don't have resturants around them. But you can also carry cheese and peanut buttercrackers. If the hotel you stay at has a microwave you can carry oatmeal or something like that for breakfast.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 8

Half of these women have been saving.
Some didn't go to the last two just so they could go to Orlando.(Make it a family vacation and write it off) The hotel and the cake goodies are the big expense. My friend spent 2000.00 on cake stuff alone in texas. Also, taking the classes.
what is cake camp?

marjiw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marjiw Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 8

I am asking too. what is cake camp? icon_cool.gif

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 8
korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 8

Definatly just saving up. I can't do Orlando this year but I will catch the next one because it's within driving distance or at least a much cheaper air fair.

Packing food is a good way to go or finding a grocery nearby. Breakfast and lunch are store bought and dinner can be done out for not much if you plan right.

Shopping is the big one. Last year I went with a specific list of what I wanted and a buget set. I did not go over and got what I wanted.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 8

Cake Camp:

www.cakecamp.com

Hosted by the California Cake Club:

www.cacakeclub.org

I can't wait to go!!!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 8

Some ideas for saving money to go:

1. If you do cakes for people and the money doesn't have to go to bills, put it in a jar.

2. Save your change. It is amazing how fast that money can add up.

3. Shop sales and with coupons and take the money you save and put in a jar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%