Could I Put Dummy Cakes In The Windows Of My Home?

Business By aprilcake Updated 27 Mar 2008 , 12:21am by alanahodgson

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 10

I am under the cottage industries business in ohio but not licensed...I have a sun room with windows on all sides and I am going to be doing a couple cake dummies here in a month or two and I was wondering if it would be breaking any kind of law to put them by my windows with a sign? I thought that would be great advertisement for people driving by. who knows?

April :0)

9 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:52am
post #2 of 10

Check with your city. If you live in an area that is zoned residential only, you probably can't. The rental house we are currently in is zoned for residential and commercial, so I guess I could, but not sure I would want to. You might end up with people knocking on your door thinking you are a bakery.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:56am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Check with your city. If you live in an area that is zoned residential only, you probably can't. The rental house we are currently in is zoned for residential and commercial, so I guess I could, but not sure I would want to. You might end up with people knocking on your door thinking you are a bakery.

You know, until you've been that house that everybody thinks is "the office" or "the manager", you don't know what a pain that can be. I've been there, and some people are very persistent with their knocking. Fair warning.

aprilcake Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 10

good thinking...thanks for the info...i'll check about the zoning thing and if I decide to put a cake in the window...i might try to make a sign that says by appointment only or something. who knows...we'll see

april :0)

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 10

I totally wouldn't, even if you *could*, for the same reasons...You'll have no privacy, because people will knock on your door and/or call you at all hours thinking you're a bakery...nights...Sunday afternoons in your PJ's...

I know whereof I speak: I run DH's business from my private office at home, though our log yard is 35 minutes away, and even without advertising our private address and even with a separate business physical/mailing address, I've had customers look up our phone # online icon_eek.gif and FIND OUR HOUSE, and show up on my doorstep while I'm in my bathrobe to ask me why I'm not answering my phone! icon_eek.gif
What the --!?! Get OFF MY PORCH! icon_evil.gificon_mad.gif

Put an ad out locally if you want to advertise, but unless you want to feel like you're trying to live in a public bakery, I wouldn't do the window thing.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 10

I would check with zoning too.

Side note: be careful with the cakes that have color. The sunlight can fade the color and make it look really bad. I learned this the hard way. icon_cry.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 10

I am also in Ohio and in a neighborhood zoned residential only. I cannot display any cakes and/or signs of any kind....and even if I could, am not sure I would want to either!

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 10

I think it sounds tacky to do so, plus the whole legality issue!

aprilcake Posted 26 Mar 2008 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 10

thanks all...i think I will still make dummies but just put them in my room that I am going to re-do to become my cake room for when I have tasting appointments and such and so then the customers can come into the room and see the dummies if need be!

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 27 Mar 2008 , 12:21am
post #10 of 10

A lady on my street who is a seamstress had a sign in her window for a while and she was made to take it down due to zoning restrictions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%