Fondant Question

Decorating By CBohannan Updated 25 Mar 2008 , 4:52am by Texas_Rose

CBohannan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBohannan Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:49am
post #1 of 2

Hi!
Im new to decorating cakes. I have an order for a cake and a dozen cupcakes for Sunday. The theme is Scooby Doo, I am doing the Mystery Machine and for a topping on the cupcakes a 'scooby snack'. Some of the pieces for the van I want to use fondant, I am also looking to use fondant for the scooby snacks. But my question is when should I start making the fondant pieces. Do they dry fast or should I wait till I make the cake and cupcakes? Am I making sense?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Happy Baking

1 reply
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:52am
post #2 of 2

All I ever use is marshmallow fondant, so different people may have different experiences with other fondants.

It dries pretty fast, depending on the thickness of the pieces. For example, I made a bunch of thin strips at 5 pm today. Right now they are starting to feel fairly stiff. By tomorrow evening they'll be dry enough to use without losing their shape.

If you've never worked with fondant before, you should play with at least a small amount. Practice forming it into the shapes that you want, and then leave one out to see how it dries over time.

If you want your shapes to mold to the shape of the cake, you should do them when you're ready to put them on the cake. If you need them to stand up or out, you should do them ahead of time so they can dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%