Kraft Strawberry Marshmallows For Mmf?

Decorating By MeNameJane Updated 8 Apr 2008 , 3:06am by staceyssweettreats

MeNameJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeNameJane Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 2:03am
post #1 of 12

I'm planning on trying to make fondant for the first time this week and when I was at the grocery store I saw that Kraft has strawberry marshmallows.

I've read that Fondant doesn't have the most desirable taste so I thought making it with the strawberry marshmallows would help the taste.

My question is, has anyone tried to make Rhonda's MMF with the strawberry marshmallows? Does it turn out right? Did you have any problems? Any tips for the first time fondant maker? I've read "How To Make and Decorate with MarshMallow Fondant (MMF) By the fabulous: Cheryl T. aka ntertayneme" (A tutorial on this website) so hopefully that will help.

I'm not making for anyone special. I've been taking the cakes to work and they gobble them down whether they look funny or not so they won't care if the consistency is off. I'm practicing beause one of the ladies at work wants me to make her grooms cake for her wedding at the beginning of May. I'm making a cake a week to practice.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

11 replies
Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 3:59am
post #2 of 12

I haven't tried it myself, but others on here have told me that it works great. Here's a link to a similar thread:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-579487.html

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 12

I've made MMF with the strawberry marshmallows and it turned out great. One bag of the strawberry is not 16 oz. though, so I bought a second bag and used my scale to weigh out the 16 oz. I've been using the recipe from the Cheryl T. tutorial.

I used the MMF to make heart cookies for V-day for my kids' preschool, then I did my first teapot cake with it 2 weeks later. (I haven't uploaded the picture yet - I'm waiting for my DH to get the pictures off the camera and on my computer!)

Sure was nice to not have to color the fondant! Good luck!

Karen

MeNameJane Posted 25 Mar 2008 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the link to the other forum post. I looked for a thread on using the strawberry marshmallows but since I've never seen the chocolate marshmallows in the store I didn't think to look for a thread on that.

I bought my strawberry marshmallows at Wal-Mart and saw some coconut ones (coconut... blergh! yuck!) but no chocolate ones. I'll have to keep a look out for those, that sounds yummy!

Well wish me luck as I try to make fondant for the first time. We'll see how it turns out being strawberry flavored and all. I'm hoping for yummy results. Although, like I said, the people at work will gobble it down anyway! They're really not picky and everyone here loves sweets.

Thanks again!
~~Jane

MeNameJane Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 12

Update:

I made the fondant, had a little problem with it sticking but overall I learned a lot and I'm convinced that next time will be easier.

Using the strawberry marshmallows was a wonderful idea and the fondant tasted wonderful. Anyone who has been thinking about trying it should. It gave it a nice soft strawberry flavor and soft pink color. Everyone loved the flavor. I will definitely do this again! If you want to see my first brush with fondant I uploaded the picture to the website. Just find my username and look at my pictures.

Next I will look for the chocolate marshmallows and try the fondant with those. Does anyone remember what grocery store they bought the chocolate marshmallows from?

Thanks for everyone's help!

~~Jane

misarisa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misarisa7 Posted 4 Apr 2008 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 12

Don't buy the chocolate marshmallows! icon_evil.gif Yuk! I know it sounds like a good idea- but don't do it! The chocolate has a nasty aftertaste, kinda chemically. icon_confused.gif The strawberry however are really tasty.

MeNameJane Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 12

Oh, thanks for the heads up!

I'll probably buy a bag anyway if I can find them just to try them. Maybe they will change the formula so they will taste better. You are right though, the strawberry ones are yummy.

I wonder if anyone has bought a few bags of the mixed flavor ones and separated them out to see if they do well in fondant? Seems like a lot of work but since the strawberry tastes as good as it does it could be worth it.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 12

I'll be in line to try the sorting of the flavors. Sounds like a great idea. YUM!!!!! icon_lol.gif

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 12

I've done the chocolate marshmallows and they were yummy- like tootsie rolls...

I also got a bag of mixed colored mini marshmallows and found out they were different flavors- used some of the lime green ones to make a MMF for the roof of a haunted gingerbread house- turned out pretty well, I must say...

I felt a bit silly seperating out the different colors, but I'm a little obsessive, so sorting/counting things is relaxing to someone like me. Just remember that there aren't a lot of any one color, so weigh the bag and adjust your recipe accordingly... I think I had like 6 oz of minimallows so I ended up estimating about 12 oz powdered sugar...

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 7 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 12

I've used the chocolate ones when making RKTs and it was delish!

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 2:40am
post #11 of 12

I too had wondered about the strawberry and the mixed colored bags. I will give them a shot. I love the MMF and it would be wonderful to not have to color it pink! Thanks for all the information!

staceyssweettreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyssweettreats Posted 8 Apr 2008 , 3:06am
post #12 of 12

I finally found the chocolate marshmallows at Target. If you go on Kraft's website, they will tell you what stores in your area will carry the item you are looking for. I just lucked up once and found the chocolate marshmallows. But, I haven't tried the MMF yet. But, I can't wait to try it! Good luck finding them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%